I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee. A few months ago I was driving around and suddenly the vehicle died. No noise, no warning of any kind. Just totally crapped out. Fortunately it was close enough to my house for my brother to tow it home. I checked everything and couldn't find any problems. It had no spark, no fuel, and it couldn't read the ECM. Replaced plugs, wires, distributor and cap, crankshaft position sensor, nothing. Finally I decided to take it to the dealer (ugh. I hate doing that) and they charged me 50 bucks and told me it was a blown fuse. Great. So about 2 weeks after ,the same things happened. So I disconnected the battery to get rid of the code and changed the fuse again and it was fine. It happens randomly, sometimes multiple times a day, other times it will go for weeks with no problems. It mostly happens when I have passengers in the back of the vehicle (weight in back seat 350 lbs +). My leaf springs are not the greatest, and I have seen others who have had the same problem, but could not find out the solution. Anyone have any ideas?
The ECM was not bad, I bought a used one out of an identical Jeep, and a new one from the dealership. My old one works just fine too. And when the code is cleared and a new fuse is put back in, it doesn't have any codes.