Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    !..Ross..!

Why was Ned Kelly considered a hero more than 100 years after his death?

Please help me with this question its for history!

!.PokerFace.!

Robin Hood was loved by the English, Pretty-Boy Floyd was an American hero, and Ned Kelly was an Australian hero. While all three were thieves, they performed a number of acts that helped the little people. Considering the abuse of the TARP funds and $18 billion in bonuses to executives who drove their businesses into the ground, we could use another Ned Kelly or Pretty Boy Floyd.

!*Britbrat*!

Ned Kelly and his gang were armed robbers who killed and murdered when necessary to escape capture - the theory that Kelly was some kind of Robin Hood is a myth. Nevertheless,Kelly remains as a hero in Australia for 2 main reasons.Firstly,he was seen as an anti-establishment figure - many of the gang's victims were policemen,and many of the population of Australia were (or were descended from} transported criminals;transportation to Australia only ended in the 1870s,so the police were seen by many as the traditional oppressors of the lower classes,acting at the behest of,and in protection of the interest of,the rich. Secondly,Australia is a relatively young country,with only just over 200 years of history,compared to, for example, over 2000 years for Britain, and 4000 years for China.So,Australia has relatively few national heroes compared to some other countries.Thus,the ones they do have may seem to be from unusual sources to some.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information