Why would an afterlife give life more value? I think it would give life considerably less value.

In his 2008 book, "The Blank Slate", the Harvard psychology professor Steven Pinker writes (p.105-106):

"The recurrence of evil acts committed in the name of God shows that they are not random perversions. An omnipotent authority that no one can see is a useful backer for malevolent leaders hoping to enlist holy warriors. And since unverifiable beliefs have to be passed along from parents and peers rather than discovered in the world, they differ from group to group and become divisive identity badges."

"Finally, the doctrine of a soul that outlives the body is anything but righteous, because it necessarily devalues the lives we live on this earth. When Susan Smith sent her two young sons to the bottom of a lake, she eased her conscience with the rationalization that "my children deserve to have the best, and now they will." Allusions to a happy afterlife are typical in the final letters of parents who take their children's lives before taking their own, and we have recently been reminded of how such beliefs embolden suicide bombers and kamikaze hijackers. This is why we should reject the argument that if people stopped believing in divine retribution they would do evil with impunity.

Yes, if nonbelievers thought they could elude the legal system, the opprobrium of their communities, and their own consciences, they would not be deterred by the threat of spending eternity in hell. But they would also not be tempted to massacre thousands of people by the promise of spending eternity in heaven."
Tim - I try not to think of sides. If you must categorize me, then I'm on the side of logic, reason, evidence and superior argument. You can enlist me to your side if you've got these and I will change my mind if I come across something that warrants it.