I am the proud momma of a 1 year old DSH kitten that I rescued when she was 8 weeks old from my parents backyard. Since having her I have never let her venture outdoors for multiple reasons (i.e. we have a high rate of strays in our neighborhood, feline aids, cat fights, run over pets).

So the previous owners of our home had pets so there is a doggie door on the door to our backyard. Lately I have just been playing with her to see if she would use the door by opening and showing her outside. The first day she walked over and peeked and ran away, the second time she peeked and put her little head and paws outside, TODAY she slowly put her whole little body outside and walked around just fine.

I was super nervous because I didn't put her collar on and for some reason believed that she would just dart off over the fence and I would never see her again, so I went outside, picked her up and brought her back inside.

So now she keeps going over to the doggie door and sniffing it. She will meow a little bit and look at me and her daddy.

Did I do a bad thing? Is it too late to start letting her out a little bit? should I get her a little kitty leash and just let her play in the back yard?