Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

DrPhil's House Renovation!

Did you test it for dog slobber?

I can lend you some children if you want to test it properly

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well at long bloomin last, I picked up the keys for our new house yesterday. Now starts the renovation process.

I enjoyed following Baldrick's thread here, so I thought I'd take a leaf out of his book and detail the progress.

First off, the house...

The garden is a sharables as the house has been empty for a few years, and there's twice as big a jungle at the back. I'll try to post pics of the back shortly.

Moving inside, the hallway (its like a t-junction, first pic is from the back wall, the next 2 are looking back towarRAB the centre from each end of the house).

Next stop the main living room. My favourite room in the house (until I build a cinema). It's a massive room with a big bay window.

The back hallway

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let me know once the gym is ready and I'll be round !

Cracking place there, really lovely !

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My parents set the bar for tiling, they had 4 bathrooms tiled when they built a house, 2 were full floor to ceiling and 2 were part tiled. The total labour cost was £13,000! It was some of the best tiling you've ever seen, they used lasers to ensure the grout lines on opposite sides of the rooms were plurab!

Our house over here the tiling took 3+ weeks with 2 or 3 guys working non-stop for all of that time!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You and FZR will have to agree to differ on the height issue But for what it's worth our first plasma was mounted at above mantle height and our current at conventional TV unit height and from 14 feet away I would say there is no preference of one height over the other. Both are/were equally comfortable/viewable.

With a 7" overhang on the mantle I don't think there will be issues with a fire, so we all agree on one thing anyway

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

where abouts is it? i have seen repo's etc in similiar design out in the country (NI) on propertynews with asking prices of not much more than £100k (country houses hard to sell apparently), but unfortunately too far for my wife, she likes being close to the town

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Called to the house today to meet a tiler for a quote, shocked the life out of me. £12 per square yard for labour, comes to just over a grand!!! I'll be shopping around methinks.

Took some pics of the "garden" on my phone as the camera battery died.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to say, thanks for the recommendation on the flooring shop in Manchester. They didn't have much in the way of flooring that we were interested in but they had a great deal on 5mm gold foil underlay. I priced it locally at just under €5 per square metre. I ordered in bulk from that lot in Manchester and it cost me £1.40 per square metre!

I'll probably have some left over but I reckon I'll be able to sell that to one of the local flooring shops or the guy who's fitting it.

A few more pics...

View from the front door, along with one of the tiles that will be going down in the hall.

Clever move to stack the tiles in one of the rooms where the current floor tiles are to be lifted wasn't it...

One of the new kitchen tiles.

Post box, this will be mounted through the wall beside the gate. Well chuffed with the price of this. Most places were around £400-£500 for a cast iron wall fitting post box, which was far more than I was willing to spend. Found this one on ebay for £129!

Typical Irish weather today. This was the sky at about 11am;

Now it's grey skies and hailstones!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coming along well Phil...really like those kitchen floor tiles , though a schoolboy error in stacking them on the floor needing done. I remeraber doing the same . I've since picked up a sack truck cheap (free from a frienRAB recycling yard) like THIS and it's been very handy over the years. Everyone should have one .

That's one expensive post box . Does it go right through the wall? Mine was £25 from a local hardware shop.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

He didn't tell me, he said the price was £12 per square yard for porcelain which led me to believe that there were different prices for different types.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information