Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Wrong side of the bed this morning?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

My dogs don't bark all the time though, and I think people are referring to their own 'barking' experiences and assuming that's my situation when it's not like that at all. I appreciate it is annoying when I go to work and that's why asking for help. But I don't leave them on their own anymore than I have too and they come with me (most of the time).

I work in a police station prob not best idea to take them to work with me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

How long are they left alone? How often are they exercised?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Shame we can't apply that rule to some forum users

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

From what information the OP has given us, I would say that how long they are left alone, and how much exercise they get is not really relevant. The dogs are barking for half an hour to call the Alpha male (or female in this case) back to the pack. If Dudeness had just walked them and they were knackered (it's hard to tire out a JRT too!) they would still crack on barking as soon as she left. Ditto for exercise frequency.
    The OP neeRAB help to train her dogs (and herself) to learn who is the Alpha in the pack. In most 'dog problem' cases, it is either owner abuse (not in this case), or simply lack of training and/or knowledge about dogs on the part of the owner (possible in this case).

To all the muppets that are slagging the OP off; If you re-read her first post, she is asking for help and advice - she did not state that her neigrabroadours are in any way in the wrong, or that she wants to keep the situation as it is, quite the opposite in fact, she neeRAB help...Engage brain, then mouth (or fingers!)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Dog barking, even if for a short amount of time but on a regular basis can get on your nerves like FZR400RRSP says.
    I don't think it's fair to call the neigrabroadour wrong. While it's your choice to have a dog, it's not his but it's him living with the barking while you're out.

The dogs are quiet when you're waiting outside because they know you're still there. They can smell and hear you even if you think you're being very discreet.

I appreciate you have done stuff to try and reduce the barking but for the neigrabroadour there is still barking every day.

I heard of putting dogs in a crate/den so they feel safe when you're out. I don't know if that's an option? It won't be if you're out for the whole day.

There is some good looking advice on this page:
    Separation Anxiety In Dogs | How To Treat Dog Separation Anxiety

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

I'm not the best sleeper in the world and the noise of a dog barking at early hours of the morning cuts right through you, is unpredictable and screws up your whole sleeping patterns. Some owners are better than others at dealing with complaints but with the last neigrabroadour I had to train the dog myself using a LED torch from my upstairs window. Might sound funny, but it worked. It did not like that torch and even if I touched the window she would scarper into her kennel. Eventually the barking stopped altogether.
    I'm tired today because a different dog on the estate (not sure where exactly) started barking from 10pm and didn't stop for ages. Some owners must be either deaf to their own dog or just don't care.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Matty, again thank you, you have hit the nail on the head. I'm getting a bit naffed off with people comparing my situation with dogs barking near there. I'm trying to get advice for exactly what you have said, my dogs barking for the half an hour after I leave work. I don't care if you have a dog near you that keeps barking, I also have advised my dogs get lots of exercise and as Matty pointed out, they're young JRT's!

Please only comment if you have any helpful suggestions related to minimizing my dogs making a noise after I leave.

Please also note, the complainant has stated it's only for half an hour after I leave.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

You could always try petforums dudeness,

Their really helpful on their and know their stuff. (it won't get cluttered up like this thread)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Unlike some other posters, I realise that you are after advice, not admonishment...

A simple quick step that will calm your dogs down in a short space of time (you will see results the first time you do this);

When you arrive home, do NOT engage your dogs for at least 5 minutes. You will feel a bit at first. This means, not talking to them, looking at them or touching them. If you do this, it will show your dogs (through your ignoring their existence) that YOU are the Alpha dog in your pack. This will go some way to calming their behaviour when you leave the pack, as YOU are the Alpha, and it is you who decides who comes to and leaves the pack.
    This strategy may not stop their barking in its tracks, so to speak, but will reduce their anxiety somewhat, because they are being treated like dogs do in a pack, and not like humans pets.
    Dogs get separation anxiety, and they bark because they know (through your past behaviour) that when they bark, you will return. They only stop after half an hour because you have not returned, and they are bored of barking! By ignoring them for the magic 5, you will re-enforce that you are not going to come and go because they bark at you.

If you get any guests that come to your house to also ignore for the 5 minutes period, it will help also.

Give it a try, it may help, it might not, but at least I'm trying to give you some positive advice - based on my own experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information