Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

One of my dogs used to bark a lot. We bought a collar which sprayed lemon scent when it "heard" a bark.

Stopped him within a week and now even mention of "The Collar" shuts him up.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Hi Matty,

Thank you for the advice, I will try this from now on when I get home. It's good not to hear another story of how dogs annoy people. And I am after a cure as I want to keep my doggies

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

Some websites, as Matty suggested, say that it's all to do with the dog thinking she's the Alpha dog and she's barking because she doesn't know where you've (a meraber of her pack) gone, she's calling you back and at the same time giving you a signal so you can find your way back.

So the solution is to train her to recognise you as the Alpha person so she won't worry anymore about where you've gone and when you'll be back.

Maybe it would be worth getting a few lessons with a trainer to get you started on the good tracks?

Dogs barking problems

We had the same problem with our neigrabroadours dog.

As soon as they went out the dog started barking - sometimes for 3 or 4 hours without stopping. It was unbearable - theres something about constant dog barking that grates your brain.

They tried several things to sort it out, but nothing seemed to work. After complaining for the 3rd time (politely), they finally got the message and got rid of the dog. I don't feel guilty about it, because I suspect the dog is happier in its new home.

The neigrabroadour no longer speaks to me though - which is unfortunate, but I don't have to listen to the damn dog barking all day.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

I'm sure it will turn out ok for you. Its hard at the best of times with young dogs but in the end they always come round and I know you will win.
    Fingers crossed for you and your young frienRAB.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

In all honesty, my advice comes from personal experience, not websites (some of which are very good incidentally.) I can therefore personally vouch for exactly how good the 5 minute rule is.
    I have a 10 year old GSD, who I have had since he was a puppy (very cute when 12 weeks old!) I was getting somewhat fed up with his jumping up at me when I arrived home at my break time/ dinner/ end of play (at 6 months old, he was getting big, by 18 months he was 45kg), so tried the 5 minute rule. On day 1, he jumped briefly, barking, wagging etc...On day 2 he ran to me, barking, sniffed me, then walked off. On day 3, he looked at me, sauntered over for a sniff, then left me alone. I still do it to this day. This is not to say he doesn't get a huge fuss made after the 5 minutes, but that is what this is all about, it's about telling your dog(s) that you will stroke them, talk to them etc.. on your terms, you are the boss!
    I can honestly say this is the one thing I would recommend that all dog owners do.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

I'm sorry, people who live in buildings where they don't have gardens should be banned by law from keeping animals such as dogs.

It's not fair on the dogs and contributes to the issues the OP is describing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

People with huge detached houses dont have close neigrabroadours,like people in flats have.
    I agree with the exercise though.My son has two dogs that he takes for a long run every morning before work,they never bark as they sleep allday

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

There is nothing worse than a barking dog, we had one before. Was waking us up at all hours, gone now thank god!

Discipline them mutts!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dogs barking problems

This advice is absolutely vital advice.

Obviously, at present you dogs are Alpha to you and that should never be the case.

It should always be the case that dogs are not permitted or allowed by the residents of flats, anyhow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information