Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SQL Advice

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

Hi,

Quick question for you if you don't mind:

I have recently started a new job as a software tester after 10+ years in hardware and it has been recommended that I go do some SQL training but obviously they expect me to sort all this out myself.

Are there any exams you would recommed for a first timer? Initially it would be for data manipulation /queries etc rather than database creation or management. We use MSQL Server from 2000 right up to 2008 R2.

The 2 Microsoft ones I have looked at are 70-432 and 70-433. Do these look any good or do you know of anything better/different/easier/more suitable for a first timer? It will need to be just the exam rather than a residential course as I will be attempting to teach myself at home and through work.

Cheers

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

Do you have to do an exam or formal training? Unless your job is specifically asking you to obtain formal qualifications, I would download a free copy of SQL express and learn for yourself, plenty of resources on the net or get yourself a good book and take it from there.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

Agree with Verve. Basic SQL is very easy to pick up and you can then become as advanced as you want - I love it, which is sad I know. Maybe worth checking out your local Uni to see if they have any database modules as they're good to kick things off.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

+1

MSDN
    SQLTeam
    SQLServerCentral
    DBForums
    SQLZoo

Plenty of Web Resources and Forums who are well placed for advice

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

Thanks all

I do already have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on a machine at home and have a little play with it.

Although knowledge of SQL is useful in my role, only a limited amount is needed really. It would come in really useful at the next level and that's why I, rather then them, would like some official certification.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

A great way to learn SQL is to build a site using PHP and MySQL (or MS SQL if you wish). Create a merchant site, where users have to register and login. Store the items to purchase in a database, and enable users to buy 1 or more items at a time and store the transactions in a table. Use PersistentDataObjects in PHP to be more authentic.

You'll learn and do practically everything you need, making tables, normalising data, querying tables, creating reports. And if you don't need something in SQL to build an e-merchant you probably wouldn't need it for most other activities you use SQL for.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

Teach yourself my SQL in 21 days by SAMS.

The definitive guide.

I wouldnt worry about certification in SQL, its more of a generic skill than something you would be certified in like for example Oracle etc.

PS - I used to be a tester, SQL is a really useful thing to learn - its not hard and you can get away with not knowing everything to be able to get what you need.

I'd say the basics are:

select, count, update, set, delete
    joins
    nested queries

Would probably only take a few hours of practice to get your head around those concepts.

Look out for TOAD for mysql - its good to practice on the most common tools in the office today. Its free to download and use. There are also DB2 express C versions available which is another nice database technology.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

How about this one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knights-24-Hour-Trainer-Integration-Programmer/dp/0470496924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331131796&sr=8-1

Teh Boss wants to me learn Transact SQL to do some data migration, and support some DTS packages and SSIS... I've done a tiny bit of SQL, but really need to brush up to a competent level.
    (once the legacy DTS is out the way, it'll only be VS2010 and MSSQL 2008 R2)

SQL Advice

SSIS packages are different to the basics, bit more advanced.

If your doing basic SQL that's easy, the more advanced stuff, i.e. creating SSIS packages is a bit of a step up. Look into what Paul above has said first, your basic select * from etc are easy enough to pick up.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

SQL Advice

Yep - and more buggy! We've had MS make more than one fix to SSIS for us in the past - what seems okay in theory can go wrong when you start to use it on true enterprise-size datasets.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information