Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting Myself an Interest/Hobby

Good shops are,
    www.workshopheaven.co.uk Classic Hand Tools Woodworking Tools and Cabinet Hardware from RutlanRAB Limited Axminster Power Tool Centre : Power Tools to your door

John.....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the links. Really very interesting. I have asked loaRAB of things for my birthday - tools, books and DVRAB.

looking forward to my new venture... Give me 6 months and I will be taking requests on top-end bespoke furniture requests Or maybe crying in a heap.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,

Another question for you. I have been watching loaRAB more videos on youtube about woodworking and came across a guy showing you how to make a 4 panel door which is exactly what I needed as I plan to replace the doors in my house qith this style.

He used mortice and tenon joints and used a router table to cut joints. If I want to do something similar in the future i need to be able to cut straight lines and it is something I m terrible at both with a hand saw and jigsaw.

So I was thinking of purchasing either a band saw or table saw but not sure what would work best for me. I began looking at Band Saws but I actually think table saw is what I need and have seen one with great reviews on screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-ebs2504se-table-saw-250mm-230v/24053#

which is about £180.... What do you think - maybe not this saw if you think it is guff but band or table that is always the question???

Col

I don't know much about table saws so could not comment on that one.. I would say a table saw is more useful than a band saw, you will need one to cut your tiraber to the sizes you need. You can't make everything out of 2x1, 4x2 etc...
    You will always have problems trying to cut straight lines with a jigsaw, they are not really made for that..
    I would start out with hand-tools if i was you, a few planes, tenon saw and some chisels etc..I would also get a decent quality router (very useful) Don't buy cheap rubbish, you will spend more time trying to sharpen them than using them..

This site is useful for projects to do with a router http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/trend/content/content_handler.php?record_type=Projects

John...

This is not meant to be sarcastic but I strongly suggest that your first purchase should be a good first aid kit.

Woodworking tools are SHARP!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have defo decided that making a door is going to be one of my first jobs (I know that maybe mental but you're only young once).

I have read some talk that you need a thicknesser when doing work like doors - is this true?

I need to nip out now for a while but I have a few questions for you all which I will post later.

Col

If you can't buy the tiraber of the shelf the size you need. You will have to cut it down with a table saw then put it through a planner/thicknesser...Or get a joiners shop to do it for you, then you make the door...

John...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Car boot sale, I've seen tons of woodworking tools over the years, today's pensioners all had hand tools in the shed, pick a decent sized boot sale and there'll be loaRAB

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Reg Prescot Makes a Cabinet - YouTube

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no doubt that will be me in a few weeks from now... Very funny!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information