I mean it makes sense to communicate, without it there's nothing (along with trust, commitment etc)

What I'm saying is, my long term boyfriend and I do not have conversations on the phone like we use to all night (we see each other once a week), have meaningful text msgs to actually reply to (probably over analyzing this one, but I know when he's home and not doing much), talking online use to be a getaway from real life but I find no sense of fulfillment in that anymore (we're both too distracted with other things when we're on) and webcam is a bore, again, doing other things while doing so. Real life is the best method but not completely satisfying for me. I feel like when I meet someone with a burst of energy and personality I feel happy and I smile all the time whereas when I'm with my boyfriend it's more of a "comfortable" stage, just wandering along if that makes sense.

I apologize for the lengthy description. Any thoughts with your personal encounters in relationships etc? How do you gain back that once, fulfilling and meaningful talks and laughter you guys once had?