Ok, so at the end of last summer ( Sep 2011) I attempted to clean the carbs following a Clymer manual. I put it all back together (with no extra parts) and tried to start it, but to no avail. So, I took it to a mechanic, and a few weeks later picked it up, started fine, and rode it home (8 miles)...as I pulled into my driveway it stalled and has not started since. So I replaced the plugs (just in case), checked the hose from the gas tank to make sure fuel line was functioning, and bought a new battery because the old one ended up dying from me trying over and over to start it. It never started and it's sat ever since. So, today (march 23 2012) I attempted to start it again. I checked the plugs, charged the battery, checked the fuel line, checked the filter inside the gas tank, and fiddled with the throttle cable at the carbs...It still will not start. Now, I have approximately half of a gallon of gas in the tank (maybe 1 full gallon) and nothing is working. It doesn't even sound like its getting close to starting...it just keeps cranking. What is the problem? It doesn't have a kick start or I would have tried that to see if it would turn over that way. The oil looks fine and full. The gas tank is clean (still shiny). I rechecked the spark plug gap spacing and they're all correct. I did cut some of the wiring at the tail end of the bike last year (after it wouldn't start), but it was to take off the rear side lights, and put on a different brake light (which appears to be working properly). Please help, as I do not have the money to keep taking this thing to the mechanic, and I'd really like to start riding since it's finally nice weather in Iowa!
Also, someone suggested that my carbs likely need to be sync'd (since the Clymer's manual didn't say anything about how to do that), but I figured that when I took it to the mechanic the last time, and rode it home afterwards, that he must of sync'd them in order to get the bike running again? He didn't say what he did, and I feel like a moron for not asking at the time. Anyway, if you have any know-how that you'd like to pass on, I'd really appreciate it. This is my first bike, and I don't know a whole lot about mechanics, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks.