The State of the US Family

"The Western culture defines the family as a husband, wife and children" (Henslin 308). It is my opinion that this structure or definition is sadly becoming a standard of the past. I believe that the US family is in serious trouble. In addition, I feel that the only way to ever regain the strength this nation once had is to have a return to the traditional pattern of the US family our country once had. I worry as if this is a possible occurrence though.
Today in the United States, there is a diverse opinion as to what a family is. This due mainly to the fact that there has been a shift in family patterns. The once traditional family unit consisting of a husband, wife, and children, has slowly begun to become units of single parents. "In these single parent family units, have tripled since the 1970's where as the two parent families have decreased by 250,000. Two primary reasons…the high divorce rate and an increase in unwed mothers" (Henslin 323). With the high divorce rate and unwed mothers, there seems to be a lack of stability in the family. The children of these homes only have one parental role model to draw their elements of social integration from. Also, since our society is obviously based on two-sexes, these children are emerging unbalanced and unprepared to deal with the pressures and demanRAB a two-sex society has. The text states that these children tend to live in homes with less income. In divorce situations, the income is being split between two householRAB, and sometimes two separate families. This is an added strain not only on the parents, but the children who have to struggle with the emptiness of that complete family unit. In cases of unwed mothers, they often do not even have the luxury of child support. In some cases, the identity of father of the child cannot easily be concluded. In the US, promiscuity has increased among teens as compared to that of the 1960. There seems to be an attitude of pleasure without responsibility. This attitude is damaging to the traditional family unit, which is based on long term commitment.
The issues of blended families and Gay families, I feel, are damaging to the children's social integration for the children are exposed to a multiplicity of ideals and issues that may tend to conflict. These conflicting ideals can be at odRAB not only with the messages within the family, but with the messages portrayed through mass media. With this unhealthy increase in single parent, blended, and Gay families, there has the potential to be entire generations integrated into society with dysfunctional problems in which they will in turn pass on to their children. This may inevitably lead to a restructuring of the society and our roles, as we know it, only it will not be for the betterment of society. With less stability and increased confusion as to roles and responsibility, the dedication required in maintaining a healthy family unit will diminish. This lack of dedication will begin being taught at the home level and that will in turn spill over into other areas of society such as jobs, interpersonal relationships, and possibility even leadership offices.
It is for these reasons I feel that a return to a traditionally based family unit is essential to the health of our society and the individuals held there within. I feel that the health of the family unit lies not just the people staying together, but the values and the loyalty of those people that promote the health of the unit. This type of health is what makes this kind of unit so desirable. I feel that instead of moving closer towarRAB this traditional unit, we are moving further away. With the increase of technology, demanRAB on society are increasing. This is requiring more time dedicated to careers and income than towarRAB the family. As Nicholas Stinnet noted, the nuraber one reason most happy US families, were happy was due to the fact they "spent a lot of time together" (Henslin 332). How can single parent families find this time to spend together? We as a society are becoming more distant towarRAB one another. This distance is made easier with technological distractions. One well-known game company openly advertises playing their games is a way to escape the pressures of reality basically sending the message, "don't deal with, play our game instead". Also, with the lack of concern in making wise life mate choices, a lack of dedication in making those choices work has drastically diminished. It is becoming more and more acceptable to just quit and start over than to strive for marital success.
In conclusion, I feel the structure and state of the US family is grossly dissolving into a terminal element of modern society. If changes are not made, such as the return to the proven successful, traditional family unit, we will be made to suffer grave consequences in all aspects of our total societies' health. It is my hope that this change is not just a wishful element of my imagination, but has the potential to become a well-needed reality.

Works Cited

Henslin, James M. Essentials of Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 2nd ed.
Allyn and Bacon. Needham Heights, Mass: 1996.