Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Palestine, the UN and a possible US veto

You SOrab veterans are, by and large, a pretty clued in bunch.
    I'd like to get a feel for how Americans view the developments following Palestine's application for full UN status.
    Has it received much coverage in the US?
    Is the reportage on the topic in the media very Israeli biased? (for rather than against)
    Barack Obama's speech in the UN regarding this issue went down like a lead balloon for everyone in the rest of the world and confirmed for us non-Americans, that US politicians are enslaved to the powerful Israeli lobby in Washington.

We here in Europe are very sympathetic to the Palestinian cause and their legitimate right to recognised statehood, but unfortunately our political representatives do not mirror this and will more than likely abstain from the Security Council vote, at the behest of the US-Israeli coalition.
    If Palestine fail to drum up the 9 votes necessary (Europe has 5 countries out of the 14 with votes. Colorabia also has a vote but will follow the US), then their application will fail without the US having to exercise their veto.
    We are very worried by this likely outcome and how Europe will therefore become viewed by the Arab world at our doorstep, destroying diplomatic relations and making the possibilities of hostilities of all forms, war or terrorist based, much more likely to occur in the Euro - Mid East region.

I'd like to know what people outside of political circles in the US are thinking about this issue, particularly since both the US and Europe will effectively be disqualified from mediating any peace talks in the region due to their showing of Israeli bias at the UN. We would then have the situation where the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) begin to be the countries exerting the diplomatic influence in the Mid-East.
    This can only lead to more trouble, since the US exerts the military influence in the area.

(+1 rep going for any genuine responses, thanks.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So are you more worried about how you will be viewed and the likely event that Palestine not being recognized will result in more terror attacks for your country? Or do you legitimately feel, regardless of how Europe will look, that Palestine state hood should be recognized? There seems to be a conflict between the two...

Obama has made his personal views on Israeli known many times over, and it is genuinely not friendly. Asking Isreal to reform their borders to the 1967 boarders would leave them virtually defensless.Obama's tune is now changing though knowing that his reelection bid is looking more and more grim. Now that it is, he will once again pander to the Jews.

And no, the majority of the media in the US does not cover the conflict very much. So much so that I'm willing to bet a large portion of our country has no idea that this situation is currently an issue in the UN. Although it should not be too surprisong, we have more citizens who know what happened on their favorite reality tv show last night then we do who even know who our VP is...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that the Palestinians have a legitimate right to statehood, based on the 1967 borders as you mentioned, regardless of how European relations with the US and Israel may suffer as a result. Our politicians should stand up and be counted with a Yes vote in the Security Council, which would better reflect the views of us Europeans.

Your point about Israel appearing defenceless if the 1967 borders were re-instated is a valid one, but is it not a direct result of the continuing expansion of Israeli settlements, which is against the Oslo accord of 1993, meaning that the Israeli defence line is currently occupying additional Palestinian territory?

It's a pity that there has been such a change in Obama's views pre-election vs post election.
    As you rightly say, the scavaging of votes for the next election is taking him to a new all time low.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Obama's views haven't changed, he never had a lot of them in the first place. The difference is he's just stopped lying about them now. This is what happens when you vote for someone because everyone else is, and it's the "cool" thing to do. He actually gets the office.

There is alreadly much less celebrity support for him in the next election. Uh-oh, I guess the Obama fad is over.

The Palenestinians have just as much claim to that land as the Israelis do, the only problem is that every country in the region won't invade Palestine at the slightest opportunity. We already know what happens when Israel shows weakness. I agree with Palestine's statehood, but the borders need to stay where they are, for everyone's safety.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this supported by polls of europeans? How about non-muslim europeans?

You state this as if its fact but I wonder how true it is, particularly when you take muslim immigrants out of the poll (you can take jews out too if you like). I suspect that opinions are changing based more on changing demographics than changing opinions. Therefore, IF there is any kind of concensus as you state, I highly suspect that it is largely influenced by the muslim immigration problem that many western european countries are experiencing. Not anything to do with the facts of the matter, nor changing opinions of whats right.

seems like their being jewish over the settlements

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

bad pun is bad

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

damn, you really torah new asshole in hobo there

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh why did i laugh so hard at this, damn it doug

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Palestinians suffer from the inability to peacefully go about their protests, they've chosen the lazy route of instead of peace they mortar innocent people. While I sympathize with a group of people who had been in that area for thousanRAB of years getting fracked by politics and having their land taken away and given to a group of people they hate most, their reputation is damaged through terrorist tactics and there is no excuse for it. Do I personally think they'll receive state-hood? In all likeliness no, should they receive it? Yes. Unfortunately neither side can put their religious bullshit behind them and actually do whats good for their own people . Of course the US is going to stand beside a nation that they and Europe created, especially when car-borabs and bus borabs are the primary tactic of the opposing group. I understand the Palestinians have been fracked for decades now through bullshit policies that Israel has instituted simply because they can get away with almost anything they like, but nobody wants to give power to a group of people who think blowing up a bus full of people is a rational method of protest. The consensus for most Americans is that the Palestinians are a group of savage terrorists and shouldn't receive anything, but for the people who do some reading outside of local news papers and watch something other than fox, they understand what the Palestinians have put up with for 60 years now and sympathize.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information