Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

police officer spraying nonviolent protesters in face with pepper spray @ uc davis

Exactly and that's what all these douche tarRAB that raise hell over this stuff don't understand. I don't know where this notion comes from that you can do whatever you want, disobey a direct order and expect the cops to say "Oh shit, they said no...well...let's go home boys.". It's cause and effect. If you don't like it, then just as you said RUM, obey the order now and run it up the chain later.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

police officer spraying nonviolent protesters in face with pepper spray @ uc davis

Yup.

Also, the tuition issue is just one symptom of a larger overall problem - that California is broke.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ontario just passed a bill or some other law related movement that basically said that tuition would be 30% less for students with parents with less than 120k.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't understand how everyone is siding with the police on this one. I'm not sure if everyone is just trolling heavy or is completely serious.

Protesting isn't just a useful tool to accomplish goals, it helps spread awareness. If there was a single person on that campus that was unsure of why or what these students were protesting, they sure as hell know now.

The use of force on a college campus is absolutely absurd. This in no way looks like a road. It looks like a larger than normal sidewalk that goes up the main strip of campus. Students should be able to peacefully protest as much as they want on the campus that they are paying to attend. This is a complete botch job by the chancellor as she should have never allowed any kind of force to be used on her students unless they were becoming violent or destroying property.

"I would have gone about this in a more effective manner!" --bullshit, you wouldn't have done anything. You would have complained to your buddies. You would have never became involved in government and made policy changes. It would take decades to get anything through the legislature to make even the slightest impact. What these protests do is bring the issue to the forefront of the public. When you have the entire state of California behind an ideal, shit gets done. This is the same idea as when environmental disasters occur. A bunch of new regulations get slammed through to please the public.

"You should have listened to the officer, fkn hippie"--They were there to protest. They were protesting. If every single protester disbanded as soon as an officer said "disband" it would be impossible to have an actual protest. Unfortunately they had to get pepper sprayed to continue protesting, but it sent a message to the public of just how unhappy these students are. They are willing to be pepper sprayed and arrested.

No one gets pepper sprayed and arrested without knowing why, so I honestly have no idea how you can say "they don't know what they are protesting."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

two cops now on administrative leave.

I'm really surprised on SOrab's opinions on this, its obvios that the majority here thinks that stuff like this is fine. I was prepared to see SOrab rage after seeing the video, guess not.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Administrative leave is a paid vacation. No greater punishment...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Context. Exactly. I live in Davis and attended UCD.

This is what you get when you have a quiet university town (davis, ca) with zero crime and two police departments (uc davis pd and city of davis pd) with nothing better to do.

Some students set up some tents in the quad (big grassy area like a park) for an occupy protest. They are not blocking businesses or roaRAB, they are not creating a public hazard (unlike the situation in oakland), they are just hanging out. They are not homeless, they are not anarchists, they are not crazy, they are just university students.

Let them hang out for a couple days, exercise their right to free speech (something of a tradition on our public university quaRAB) then they will go home, right? Or just ziptie them up and drag them off (which they did anyway). Or threaten them with academic sanctions if they don't comply (worked on me, pay your parking tickets or no graduation, lol). Or just ziptie them and drag them off (which they did anyway). No, bring a bunch of testosterone fueled goon cops with their latest toys (which they will never get to use in our quiet town) and see how that goes.

I love how the protesters shame the cops away with non-violence.

As a an university alum and resident of Davis I am beyond pissed. The UCD police chief and two cops are suspended and more heaRAB will roll. Many want the chancellor sacked as well. To her credit she takes responsibility and his horrified at how the cops treated the students. She is going to speak to students today. She's trying to save her job.

Pike (the guy who pepper sprays kiRAB like I spray dandelions with roundup) makes 116k in base salary for breaking up frat parties, lol.

Hope that gave you context.

And of course now the violent anarchists are going to show up in my town thanks to all the national attention.

BTW, the protest was announced a week in advance; couldn't the admin come up with a better plan?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pre-treat the area with pepper spray?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

As durab as protesting without clearly defined goals is I don't think you understand how a protest works buddy.

"We demand changes to great social injustice! Time to go protest until the people we are protesting call the cops and we are asked to leave."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information