Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

police officer spraying nonviolent protesters in face with pepper spray @ uc davis

Dudes never heard of american history

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

police officer spraying nonviolent protesters in face with pepper spray @ uc davis

actually, i have tried to address the situation before by writing to my state rep. they didnt do anything but waste $5 to print some bs excuse on what was some of the nicest paper ive ever seen/felt - go figure. tried signing some petitions. again, not surprised that not much happened. ive done other things as well, but ill stop here.
    why do i think they won't do anything anytime soon - it is not politically profitable to help students, many of which cant vote and those that can often have the lowest turnout rates. while it may be the right and smart thing to do logically and for the future success of california economically, it is not politically profitable to do today. and today b/c people usually forget things pretty fast. on top of that, the goals and desires of students, a small percent of the population, are usually not in line with the majority of the voting age population, aka adults, often with kiRAB, who often see the world extremely differently than we do. so again, while they should, its often not in the interest of politicians to help students. ie just look at almost every state's budget sheet, education usually gets the left overs. this is why i dont think a few protests here and there will change anything.
    while i am not admitting defeat or just taking it up the butt, realistically i know its hard for a single person to change the world.

no, im not trying to nitpick the protester strategy b/c of small flaws. nor did i ever say i had an easy answer/fix - i don't. but do the protestors - i doubt it. what i would want to do may not be in line with what others would feel is important.
    trust me, im all for revolution and fighting off big government and excess government power, but i also realize we can't be having useless canadia police either and that change must come about in an efficient manner for it to actually work.
    60's approach to 2010's issue - yeah this kind of stuff worked in the 60's b/c of the way society, culture, the political atmosphere etc. was back then. ie in the 1950's a centralized power grid was genius and finally got power to everyone (everyone for real this time). but in 2010 the aging gird is showing its problems (which i wont get into) and current dependence on the "old idea" that everyone accepts as the way to go is actually blocking us out of a lot of solutions that even poorer places like india and china are really banking on. anyways, i see protesting the way people do today the same way/parallels. but things have changed and governments have learned how to resist such things and have seized more power. not saying its bad to help students, just that its ineffective and to some degree gives "helping students" a kind of stigma like "oh those hippies, why dont they get real jobs and work hard and pay for their school like i did growing up" - so while you or i may not think that way - sure as hell a lot of the ppl who can change the situation see shiz like this and do.

also, tell me that every student you meet at a protest is logically sane/sound. most people i meet at stuff like this are full of hot gas and opinion and quick to point the finger but never examine themselves to see what they are doing wrong to end up in this kind of mess in the first place - aka entitlement.

i could go on, but i think this is enough. i dont want to come off as argumentative, but i do want my points and thought process to be clear.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

defintely a praying mantis....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd say it's not just students protestors, or regular protestors for that matter, that are "full of hot gas and opinion and quick to point to finger but never examine themselves to see what they are doing wrong," but a majority of people I meet. Shit, I'd say a lot of people at my place of work fit that description perfectly. Then we look to government and we can see the same kind of "full of hot gas and opinion and quick to point to finger but never examine themselves to see what they are doing wrong," people making important decisions that affect us. It's not hard to find a congressman or senator who makes a statement only to completely 180 his/her position a few weeks/months/years later. I'm an opponent to a large state making decisions for citizens, and a proponent of citizens making their own decisions.

I think protests can be conducted in multiple ways. Some groups of people are very specific in what they are protesting, they argue a coherent message with evidence to back it up, and can show you exactly why they are mad and what they want done about it. Some groups of people don't exactly know what the problem is they are protesting about, they argue a personal and emotionally backed message, and hope someone can fix whatever it is that is causing them problems. Other protests might start out with a specific message and solution, and then lose the original message in the overwhekming chaos that takes over as more people join. The thing that all protests have in common though, is the drawing of attention to some sort of problem. That's the whole point of a protest, to gain peoples attention and show them that something isn't right in society. I love protests. Imagine this world without people corabatting the state, it'd fracking suck, we'd all be more robotic than we already are. So yea, maybe the kiRAB protests might not directly cause an immediate alleviation of whatever problem it is they're facing, but it draws attention to the problem and that's a good thing. If enough people take notice of the problem, think about all aspects of the problem, try to formulate a solution to the problem, and then act out some solution to the problem, then that problem will most likely be a lot closer to being solved. If nobody did anything about what they felt was a problem we would have government boot marks all over our face.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

TL DR

people are peacefully organizing in groups and using their first amendment rights, call the national guard!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

you didn't hear? that right is censored now.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, its all right there!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

we can petition all we want, but we wont get very far as long as private institutions have more monetary sway over the decisions being made

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

just saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hhPdH3wE0_Y

looks like someone dun goofed... and it wasn't the police this time. after watching this - imo they got off easy with just pepper spray.

and thank you ass clown hippies for once again ruining any real revolution or change that could have potentially arose from these occupy movements i was so fond of initially.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information