Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

wtf? traveling faster than the speed of light?

i was just thinking about this today. amazing that this is going on, and we r able to test and record things like this

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

its the graviolis

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It still has yet to be proven 100% true, which is why I'm still doubtful. However, if it is true it essentially overturns one of the largest rules of physics and changes the way we have been perceiving the laws of nature for decades. Theoretically, it opens the door to time travel (in to the future, not the past). If you don't think that this is amazing and surprising I don't know what will.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never said it wasn't

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This discovery implies that the speed of light is not the basis for maximum velocity. Einstein's summary for time dilation in his relativity theories has its roots in the speed of light. A simple explanation would be to consider two observers with clocks in a single dimension without any gravitation forces acting on the system. Observer 1 is travelling at a much greater speed than observer 2. From the relative perspective of observer 2, obverver 1's clock will seem to be slowing down. According to the equation for time dilation, as observer 1 reaches the speed of light, his clock will appear to be stopped according to observer 2. In this sense, time does not exist for observer 1 in the relative frame of observer 2.

Now considering the new findings that there are particles that travel faster than the speed of light, that would then imply that these same particles are travelling in the negative time frame. That in itself is hard to believe. From what we think we know, this cannot be true, and thus the speed of light is no longer the basis for a large nuraber of physics theories. One being Einstein's E=mc^2 theory. Previously we had believed that the maximum amount of energy was created by a photon travelling at the speed of light. If these recent findings are true, then these neutrinos possess a greater energy threshold than the photon. In essence, a lot of the generalizations from the past 100+ years will be invalidated (not necessarily completely wrong, just not right). Finally, this brings up the question, if the neutrino posses a faster speed than the photon, what other particles possess an even faster speed that we have not discovered?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hope they prove this true, it's nice to throw everything out of whack every once and awhile. also, relavent;

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

im gonna submit a law with one variable changed, speed of light to speed of nuetrinos.
    get mad bank and be in books

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I accept this fact, but can someone tell me why things can't go faster then light? I was never told the reason. And if that is true then space travel will be plausible again.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

cause light is photons which have no mass and therefore are able to move at such a speed. The reason anything shouldn't be able to go or exceed the speed of light is because nothing can become massless and would technically have to turn into pure energy (in the form of radiation) to travel at the speed of light.

i think thats right. I've haven't taken any particle physics or anything of that nature yet so it might be wrong, there's probably more to it but i think thats the basic idea. Also i was looking around and there's a bunch of weird stuff people are thinking. like if something exceeRAB the speed of light, time slows down around it to compensate. i'm not sure for what, how, why, or anything else for that matter but thats whats out there.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Photons are considered massless when in a vacuum. Experiments have shown that photons can have a mass in superconductors for example, but all the physics theories have based the speed of light as a photon travelling through a vacuum. Neutrinos have been shown to not be massless, which is why many theorists have a hard time accepting this find.

Reference my post earlier and look up time dilation and the theory of relativity. Time slows down around the faster object only in the frame of the faster object. See Galilean/Lorentz Transformations

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information