Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Setter or a Golden Retriever

I'm in the market for a new dog. I've had a golden for 13 years, but he stays with my parents now. I'm looking into either a Gordon Setter or an Irish Setter just because I'd like something different/new, but I've had such great experiences with Goldens that it's hard for me to justify looking for anything else.

Does anyone here have a setter? If so, could you give me some advice?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go to the pound and whatever awesome dog you find. I had two lab mutts growing up, that we got at the pound, and my current dog happened to a rotweiller, also from the pound. He's the biggest baby and is great with small children. Story here cannot always judge a dog by its breed, and go to the pound and save a pup from getting killed. But if you want an awesome breed get an australian Shepard, they re super loyal and will follow you everywhere.

I agree with the above poster.

I know many Irish Setters are pretty inbred. Same problem with Goldens, really. Mutts are more likely to not die from pure pred defects and disorders, which is nice.

I personally would go for a Golden, English Setter or pound mutt. Since all these breeRAB are high energy, maybe even a border collie or aussie shepherd? Smart, smart dogs.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a golden retriever growing up, and have another one after he passed. I also have a bordercollie-german shepard mutt, that thing is going to live forever. Shes 14 but still scales and jumps over a 6 foot chain link fence. Goldens are definitely my favorite breed though, I will definitely be getting another one when I'm out of school.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In the market? Something seems so wrong from that phrase. haha

And don't shop, adopt.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

A buddy of mine has a Golden-doodle and it's a riot! Goofiest/friendliest dog ever and he looks like a giant sheep or something! Best part is he doesn't shed!

I may be bias because I have a 10 year old Carolina Dog but she is such an intelligent dog. So smart and just an all around awesome dog, sorta looks like a dingo. I highly recommend looking into them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

+1 for pound dog.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would definitely adopt if I just needed a dog to have a dog. I actually recommend that to my frienRAB. I need a really smart, really obedient gun dog though...for duck hunting and tracking. I guess theoretically a mutt could be an awesome gun dog if I was lucky, but there's too much uncertainty.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

rhodesian ridgeback. bred to hunt lions, can run for days and are very trainable. plus they're shorthaired and won't shed everywhere.

use petfinder.com to find a dog to adopt from the specific breed you want. save a dog, save money, achieve end goal of finding a hunting dog.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Didn't realize you were going to be using it for hunting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information