Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Engineering Jobs/Internships

Aerospace is having a hard time right now, I know many AEs who just graduated and can't find a job. Luckily as and ME you have a lot more opportunities. But getting a internship at any huge national company you can think of off the top of your head is extremely competitive. It's pretty unlikely you'll find one with Boeing/Raytheon/etc. Your best bet would be to find smaller local companies or find out what connections your school has, or even better if you know someone who works in the industry. Even then it's competitive. I'm in my senior year now and have been unable to find an engineering internship each summer. If you're looking for a summer internship, you really should start looking in Jan/Feb because that's when companies start posting their internships.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd go as far as to say that you should try looking as early as Deceraber and try to have it secured by January/February. I'm a 4th year for AE. As far as finding a job right out of college for AE/ME, you're going to want to diversify your studies/internship/research studies to cover as many engineering sectors as possible. Companies no longer hire separate engineers for each of their engineering processes (with the exception of hugely intensive ME/EE/AE areas). They're looking for an engineer that can cover as many areas as possible. You're also going to have to proactively research companies and reach out to them. If you talk to 20 companies, usually at least 4-5 will send you responses. If you sound interested/knowledgeable enough then they might have some internships open to offer you. In these cases it might even turn into a job for you. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps a little in your search.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep. I'm into my last year for a bachelors in civil eng. and my professors and TA's keep telling us to try many of the smaller companies as they are a much more "organic" type of company than the large corporations who are more "mechanized". What I mean is that, most of the time, the smaller companies look at you and say "what can this guy do for us", while a large corporation may see you and say "How much money can this guy make us, and how much is it costing us to keep him around". Of course this doesn't happen 100% of the time, but its pretty common. Also don't be afraid to get into an internship that's not paid. Whatever experience you can gain and put on your resume is just that, experience gained. Good luck on the search man, I'm right there with ya.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I work at Gulfstream Aerospace as an EE. We have a coop program with some of the colleges. I didn't go that route but actually put myself through school working in the warehouse there. Business has been pretty strong for us, and we have been steadily hiring and growing. Like pretty much any job, there is a reason they call it work and not fun, but it is pretty cool when I do get to spend some time testing or flying on a 65 million dollar business jet.

hmm i didnt know edison wanted a lot of ME... and while the choices you listed are good, those big aero companies have a certain feel/culture to them that may not be right for everyone. while you should apply if its what you want, id say to definitely open up your choices/considerations. several of my (mostly) EE classmates who are in the know and not just those people who know nothing outside of school would probably agree.

as for small vs large, id say go for both. do small one year and large the next. two very different pictures. imo a small company isn't something that is worse than a large one or simply a stepping stone and vice versa. ive worked 3 different jobs/internships or w/e u want to call them in college (finishing EE undergrad at UCI) and did one unpaid job (probably the most enjoyable one though, set own schedule too).

stories are a bit long so i will just leave them out for now. my biggest advice for an interview or getting an internship isn't to just have a high gpa b/c many have met very many high gpa students who are horrible interns and vice versa or be the stereotype charming douchebag or asshat during the interview - most intelligent managers know those people usually just full of hot gas/ego and try to talk their way through the interviews, know almost nothing, and are a pain to work with when its time. the above may work for other jobs/positions, but i don't see BSing the way through the interview work as often (unfortunately it still works too often). yes still be charming and nice, it will help, but dont be like the stereotypical sales person or w/e if its not needed. for what to do during an interview, simply put, google can word it all out better than i can with the jurable of thoughts in my mind.

my biggest mistake in my undergrad was taking a lot of best engineering courses in other majors i didnt need and doing poorly in them and dragging my gpa down a lot. also could have taken a lot of classes more seriously but i guess more for myself i forced myself to try in my hardest EE classes and did well in those.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Useful thread folks!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome Engineers....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information