Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Headphones/Audio Thread

You have an amp for these right?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

newp. I have little knowledge of these things. I just want good portable speakers to plug my comp and ipod into.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need something made for that; these are home theater speakers made to be plugged into a receiver/amp.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

glad I asked. I honestly barely read the description, just rushed to post the link out of laziness.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked for a portable ipod setup earlier this year and it seemed like one of the better choices out there was the Altec Lansing Mix Boorabox iMT810.

This could work find if what you want with you computer is something to play music from. Another option is to look for a pair of amplified monitors. Like these: http://www.amazon.com/Avid-9900-6517.../dp/B005F3H6Q8

They have built in amplifiers and are made to be used with computers. I think they will work with an ipod as they are amplified, but I'm not clear they have volume control on them, so you may want to look into whether people use them for that. The probably have some adjustments on the back of the speaker, and then you can use ipod volume control. There is no sub woofer though. There are other small amplified monitors you can get, look up the ones by Mackie.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

ADMINS: is there a way to make my original post the top one so that people know this is the headphone thread?

also, ill post links to the other headphone threaRAB sometime soon.

still haven't had a chance to find a way to attach the buyer guide i mentioned to a link for download.

Bump.

Penguin helped me a bit and wanted the info to go out to everybody:

Re: Help
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ammy
    Hey,

Shopping for little brother for Christmas, I want to get him a pair of over the ears since he is always borrowing mine. Less than $100, used at home and for rap/radio garbage and other bass-y genres. Any immediate suggestions that come to mind? You've helped me out in the past, so any advice you have is appreciated.
    first and foremost - how old is he? be careful here, wrong item at a young age can potentially screw his hearing pretty hard... ill explain more later. that being said, when u say over ears, im guessing you mean headphones that will cover his ears up. also, i will assume he is listening out of an ipod or something portable. anyways, in no particular order:

1. denon 510r - not super beefy so if he might trash them dont get these, quick way to burn $100. try to get these from a bigger retailer who can move a lot of inventory b/c they r somewhat new and the first batch had some problems.
    2. sennheiser 448 or 428, depenRAB on how much you want to spend. and these will probably sound a tiny bit better out of a laptop or something, but will "cut it" in an ipod, just won't sound as good. imo, i have never used a good senn product that really matched with really bassy music though, like their products can work with a lot of bass, but its always missing that "something", but they are almost always good w/ the design, quality, etc and typically have well thought out products so these may be good for you if you want to let your brother just have your headphones.
    3. ultrasone hfi 450 or 580 (will cost more than $100 unless you find a deal). these are more out of curiosity, i dont have that much experience with ultrasones outside of some of their flagship stuff but im curious about how they are - if you end up getting these please leave as much info on these as you can b/c im curious.

there are a lot more out there, many w/o best caveats that im mentioning, but i was tired when i opened this and want to sleep soon, if you need more info, lmk.

lastly, if you dont mind, please post this in the headphones thread (or i can) so the info is out there for everyone. and i remeraber you were asking about RE-0s. maybe post how you feel about them b/c several ppl are probably skeptical if some best chinese company can really make half decent earphones worth that much.

My experience with RE-0s and RE-ZEROs: I won't buy again. Way too fragile for me, I broke 2 pairs of RE-0s and a final pair of RE-ZEROs before I gave up getting them replaced. Two of the incidents occurred just by removing the cord from the iPod jack, separating/breaking it (both of the RE-0s). The RE-ZEROs simply broke in one earphone, although that might have been unnoticed abuse on my part. On the bright side, their customer service was very good and replaced them free of charge each time within the warranty.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

listen to resident audiophiles Bart and Penguin or make a thread on /g/ where there are many audiophiles

dont listen to people suggesting skullcandys or beats

my $.02

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

why thank you. although i do have to say this - skullcandy is slowly improving some of their products. still not worth it right now imo but not all of their products are as crappy as they were in the past.

and i wouldn't say beats and bose products are horribly bad in and of themselves - they are bad for what you pay. ie the sound and quality you get out of $300 bose headphones are the same SQ you can get out of a good $100 or so headphone. but if they were selling those things at $50 or 60, i wont lie, id probably have a pair too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

dont know if you guys agree, but sturabled onto this guide that a lot of people stick by on /g/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information