Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie would like some assistance

Hey gang,

I'll start out by talking about myself a little bit. I'm an aircraft electrician on T-38s. I've been interested in electrics and electronics my entire life.

I've decided to pick up R/C cars, and have no idea where to begin. I'd like to just run it around my neigrabroadorhood on asphalt and would like to stick with electric.

I'd like to be able to find a kit to build myself, as I enjoy doing work myself. I'm not sure where to even begin looking and any help the experts can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want an all around truck to do this and that... A "jack of all trades" perhaps... Look for a SC Truck (SC = Short Course)..

Traxxas Slash - RTR out of the box and very durable! Very upgradable with the immense aftermarket support... If you don't intend on racing competitively, this is by far the truck for you...

Associated & Losi make SC trucks as well.. As do many other companies.. But most others are more "race oriented"... A slash can be a great racer! If you decide to race with it, you can definitely be competitive!! But I would not buy an associated or losi truck with the intent to bash! They are racers... Bottom line... People will argue that.. But most slash owners I know bash... Most associated/losi owners I know race... That simple...

Check out the slash... If your into the building it yourself type thing, just do what I did... Buy upgrades (you know you wanna) and rebuild it.. Make it better, faster, stronger!!!

:my2c:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Slash actually looks pretty cool! What kind of stuff can I upgrade on it? It says it has a "Titan 12 turn 550 size" motor. Not quite sure what that means. Could I upgrade the battery and the ESC on it as well? What would you recommend? Thanks a lot for the advice!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a slash the things i would upgrade would be the esc and to a brush less motor. That way you have more power. The stock 2wd is lipo ready which is nice.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How would I go about figuring what motor to get for it? Sorry I'm asking so many simple questions. I'm really not as think as you durab I am!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

here is the esc I have in mine.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1357/products_id/156393/n/Castle-Creations-Maraba-Max-Pro-1-10-Sensored-Sensorless-ESC-w-SmartSense

This is the motor I run:
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/z3r-s-17-5t-stock-spec-540-sensord-bl-motor-THPM540A175

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No problem at all my friend... I bought a 2wd (brushed) slash... It came with a 2.4ghz radio system, and the 12t Titan with an XL5 ESC... The total was like $225 after my coupon....

The factory 12t Titan 550 is a joke... It really is.. I bought it knowing that I would be upgrading to a BL kit (brushless)... I didn't even run it with the Titan motor.. Took it out of the box, took it apart, and installed my new hardware, etc.... The Traxxas 2.4ghz radio is beyond sufficient!!! The truck will leave your sight before you lose radio signal! The truck is solid!
    Suspension is a little soft out of the box, but they include shock spacers in the box. I opted to purchase stiffer springs, as I do not like using shock spacers (personal preference)... You can actually purchase (green/stiff) Duratrax Evader ST springs for like $5 a set... They are a direct fit and give the truck a perfect ride (IMO)... I've been nothing but happy with the truck!!!

This is the Brushless kit I used:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html

This kit is only $70.60 with free shipping! You can put much bigger/powerful kits in these trucks! No doubt! But I don't want to be rebuilding a gearbox once a month! Haha.. I only run Onyx NIMH 4200-5000's in all my vehicles! Just again my personal preference! Lipos scare me! The threat of bursting into flames while charging/running isn't worth it to me! Especially with my wife and baby in and around the house!!!

With my factory spur/pinion it does about 40-45mph... Will roast the tires on dry pavement no problem!!! Temps with my factory spur/pinion are around 120-130... Which is the sweet spot for most BL kits.. So in my mind, this kit was/is perfect for a 2wd slash... Plus the ESC has a fan on it from the factory that constantly runs while switched on! Keeps it cool! And it comes with a program card from the factory to custom tune however you desire! Which is neat if you want to let a little one drive it or somethin.. Turn the throttle down and let em have a go!!

If you opt for the 4x4 slash, I've heard of some drivetrain problems and such... Heard when you really get down on em they break easily... I cannot confirm this (don't own one)... So maybe someone else could chip in on how they like the 4x4 and how they set it up... My faith/knowledge is all in the 2wd and I love it!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'll probably stick with the 2WD, because I don't plan on taking it offroad, and if I do, it'll just be short grass. The motor you purchased to replace the stock one looks awesome! I do think I'll get LiPo, just because I can! Thanks a lot for your help!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No problem at all my friend... Be careful with those lipos!!! Haha... And keep us posted on your progress!! Have any more questions don't bother to post up or PM me... Go to the Electric Off Road Forum and use the search feature... Type in "official 2wd slash thread".... That should provide you with a plethora of information from myself and countless others on the site... Take it easy...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information