Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Want to try on road, need advice

Hi there, I race an sc10ft on a weekly basis and always make the A main. I live close to a new outdoors on road track and would like to have a go at it. I probably won't race but would like to turns some laps just for fun. What car should I go for? Must be fun to drive and durable. I have been offered a Ken Block 1/16 Traxxas for a good price but have read mixed reviews. Will i be happy with it (I'm used to driving SC 2wd that have less than perfect handling) or should I look at a TC or 1/12 pan car? Some experienced feedback would greatly appreciated.
    Kris

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well considering you are in the same city as I am, it's Touring car all the way... There's not much Pan Car racing unless you want to just join in on the 10.5 Superstock outlaw class at Brendale every other friday night. Kerry there would tell you a Top Photon is a great car as well.
    (You can also save a HEAP on tyres running the foams that we throw away from the Nitro Tourers. Always happy to hand out foams that are bordeline for my Nitro)

Or, head out to Bayside / Capalaba BRCCC on a weekend when they are racing and hunt around for a used Xray TC3

OzRC at Geebung has a few clones and 2nd hand cars and a full array of batteries, ESC's tyre etc.. Best of all, check out what the others are saying in regard to 2nd hand parts and availability. Jeff at Trackside may have some second hand ones as well, but beware of parts availability regardless of where and who .

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your replies, a used X-ray might be the way to go, I'm going to check out a race meeting at Bayside and Meakin Park and see if it's what I want to get into. I'll pass on the Traxxas though.
    Cheers

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get an associated tc6 best choice, parts are easy to get very good car

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Used cars can be good or bad. You might get a great deal or have to find and replace worn or damaged parts and maybe spend in total as much as a new kit.

Almost every brand has a high end car capable of winning if set up well and driven by a great driver. XRAY's precision and overall quality of parts are as good as it gets, but you do have to pay a little more for everything. They have a fairly wide setup window and they are arguably the most durable, but all cars wear parts (some more than others) and all will break, given the right amount of force and angle of impact. All can also be beefed up to minimize damage from lesser impacts. A stiff bumper can help tremendously.

In on-road, minor set up changes can make huge differences to the handling. Just getting it properly aligned with even left and right steering, precise caraber, precise droop and well built shocks, is extremely important. The car should also be balanced perfectly left to right. Front/rear balance can make a major difference in handling as well. I like the weight very close to center, but just slightly tail heavy. Others like it heavier in the front or perfectly centered.

Once you get a base setup that you feel comfortable driving, adjust things in very small increments from there. The right tires and tire prep can make a massive difference. When the car handles well, you'll love it. When it doesn't handle well, it can be a challenge to figure out.

Best of luck

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would get a used TC3 Very good durable car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information