Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the reason martial arts schools don't talk about injuries obvious?

They don't want to discourage your participation? I began Okinawan and they do the opposite - emphasize how you can keep training into your 80s.
    I don't understand why anyone would deny injuries. I've hurt myself over-training (worst). Been nailed in the solar plexus by a heel (great wake-up call). I've seen others with sparring injuries that take them out of training (granted, this wasn't Okinawan). All that endurance bravado and the makiwara board. We get hurt.

There is a difference between the west and Okinawans.

They can and DO continue training into their 80's and 90's - all the way to 100.

It's because of their lifestyle. This includes their daily activities, their diet - which is one of the healthiest in the world, their mindset, which is to always be cheerful and give from yourself to help others.

Completely opposite of the western man who has the worst diet in the world, never wants to help his fellow countryman, is warlike... etc.

I know not everyone in the west is like that but the majority are.

The Okinawans suffer injuries too, but their injuries heal because of their diet. They eat a wide variety of wholesome foods and train in karate. They use herbal liniments to heal blunt trauma and breathe in good air. They get together to have quality time with each other.

So what's obvious to us is not even an issue with them.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've trained for 30 years, and have only ever seen two injuries more serious than the occasional finger/toe injury. One was a student who didn't feel nerve pain and didn't tap out to let his partner know a joint lock was working - he received a small break in his metacarpal. The second was an advanced student (near blackbelt) who was working with someone much larger than him (very overweight) and dropped him on his foot. He received a broken metatarsal.

Other than those, there are the occasional strains and sprains. Those things are going to happen if you train long enough in an art with realistic combat. I dislocated a thumb in a friend's black belt test, for instance. I was on the ground (multiple-attacker scenario) and one of the other "attackers" stepped back on my hand. These things happen, and are discussed often.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've trained for 30 years, and have only ever seen two injuries more serious than the occasional finger/toe injury. One was a student who didn't feel nerve pain and didn't tap out to let his partner know a joint lock was working - he received a small break in his metacarpal. The second was an advanced student (near blackbelt) who was working with someone much larger than him (very overweight) and dropped him on his foot. He received a broken metatarsal.

Other than those, there are the occasional strains and sprains. Those things are going to happen if you train long enough in an art with realistic combat. I dislocated a thumb in a friend's black belt test, for instance. I was on the ground (multiple-attacker scenario) and one of the other "attackers" stepped back on my hand. These things happen, and are discussed often.

it is not that obvious actually, ( because it is actually safe if taught right) a professional instructor will keep safety a priority in class, martial arts is one of the safest high impact workouts. I've tweaked my knee, a few times and been better in a day or two, and had a here and there a busted lip ( not a Hollywood one but just a tap that drew a speck of blood. Ive not seen in my school anything worst than that, and we do kick boxing, BJJ and kung fu. m

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information