Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Debate( Horse Racing)?

I have an assignment in class. My friend thinks it's cruel to make horse race but I disagree. So we have to have a debate in front of the class and the teacher decides who wins.

I do have some things but I could use some help. And I'm talking about HORSE RACING. Not what the owners do to them after the race or the habits they might pick up. I'm talking just about the racing part.

Here are some things that I already have.
    - -They were built to run.
    -They can get hurt running in the wild to.
    -They need exercise.
    -Having them run isn't cruel, there 1,100 pounds of muscle it's good for them to stay active

Please share your ideas.
    Thanks

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    better then standing round in a muddy field all day getting laminitis. (omg spelling :S)

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thoroughbreds are bred to race. They love it.

Even the young foals will race around the field, trying to get to the front. It's their heritage.

A horse that does not love to race will never be a good racehorse. You cannot force them to run fast; they have to want to. It is as expensive to keep a bad racehorse in training as it is to keep a good one - which is to say, VERY expensive. Just as a matter of economics, a horse that doesn't want to race will not be kept in race training.

Some people think they are forced to run by the whip, that it's fear and panic and abuse. It's not. It's heart and will and drive from the horse. The whip tells him when it's time. If a horse comes in with whip marks, the jockey is disciplined. It's not about pain and fear.

I have 3 ex racehorses. Two don't have that drive to win at all costs. The third one, in the first two years I had him, twice injured himself racing in the pasture because he HAD to be in front. He'd give the others a head start, then he'd run them down - you could see him planning his race strategy. That one was a racehorse, the other two were thoroughbreds at the track. Big difference.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also add that you cannot `make` a horse race! If a horse doesn`t enjoy it then he would refuse! There are many Trainers who have had to sell their horse/s because they simply wont Race and refuse!!

Also, they are probably the best kept and looked-after horses in the World? They get luxurious accomodation and the very best health, feed and vetinary attention. Nobody would be breeding them if no-one did Horse Racing. So there wouldn`t be as many thoroughbreds in the World if there were no racing!

How can it be cruel when these horses absolutely love to run??!! Its what is inside them, bred for etc.?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information