5 June 2012 Last updated at 12:27 ET By Julian Fowler BBC News Getting into the party mood with the Jubilee picnic in the garden of Buckingham Palace
We joined the long queue that snaked around the perimeter of Buckingham Palace near the Palace convenience store - I wondered if this is where Her Majesty would pop out to get a pint of milk?
The orderly procession moved slowly as we each clutched one of the 10,000 invitations from the Master of the Household at Her Majesty's command to a Jubilee picnic in the garden.
Once through airport-style security scanners we made our way through the palace gates.
We followed the route I had seen prime ministers and presidents take except that we were not greeted by a senior royal official, but by a picnic hamper from Waitrose.
I followed my wife Joanne up the red carpet and into the palace, passing large portraits as we were shown out into the garden.
Joanne knew where she was going as she had been here before for the Golden Jubilee concert.
Ten years ago her sister Alison won a pair of tickets in the ballot and this time Joanne had been successful along with her brother Stephen - the Gilmores must be the luckiest family in Fermanagh in the royal concert lottery.
Continue reading the main story The picnic menu

• chilled British baby plum tomato soup with garden mint-infused oil
  • tea-smoked Scottish salmon
  • Diamond Jubilee coronation chicken
  • Sandringham strawberry crumble crunch
  • lemon and caraway cake
  • chocolate indulgence cake decorated with a chocolate crown and sprinkled with popping candy
  • A cheese selection and Duchy Originals oat biscuits

After collecting a glass of champagne we found a spot next to the lake and spread the contents of the wicker hamper out on the lawn.
The menu was created by chef Heston Blunenthal with the royal chef Mark Flanagan.
Following a starter of chilled British baby plum tomato soup with garden mint-infused oil there was tea-smoked Scottish salmon and a Diamond Jubilee coronation chicken.
Pudding was a Sandringham strawberry crumble crunch along with a lemon and caraway cake and a chocolate indulgence cake decorated with a chocolate crown and sprinkled with popping candy.
A cheese selection was accompanied by Duchy Originals oat biscuits and there was even a pack of royal hand wipes.
Shelter A brief shower had people donning their Jubilee ponchos and taking shelter under the trees but thankfully this was not going to be the soaking experienced at the Thames pageant the previous day.
Anyone wanting a royal flush had to face another long queue for the executive portable toilets and all too soon it was time to leave.
Ready for anything, but the Diamond Jubilee poncho was only needed briefly.
I left the palace with one final look behind - I am not expecting a knighthood so this will probably be my first and last visit - and made our way to our seats for the concert.
The roundabout around the Queen Victoria Memorial had been transformed into a stage for a spectacular party featuring a galaxy of rock, pop and classical music stars.
Surreal Robbie Williams kicked off proceedings with Let Me Entertain You.
Jessie J was popular with the crowd (and me I admit) and Grace Jones performance was surreal as she sang Keep It Up in a skin tight red leather outfit while hula hooping.
It was bizarre but very entertaining. I'm not sure what Her Majesty would have thought especially when Grace Jones finished by wishing the Queen a Happy Birthday.
We will never know as The Queen entered the royal box late just missing out on a powerful set by Tom Jones which had tens of thousands singing along to Delilah.
Other highlights for me were Annie Lennox, Alfie Bowe and classical pianist Lang Lang, before the acts I was most anticipating: Shirley Bassey, Elton John, and Stevie Wonder.
They performed some of their most popular hits for the crowd and VIPs to sing-along to and at one stage I saw Prince Andrew on his feet wrapped in a Union flag leading the chorus in the royal box.
With thousands of flags being waved it was a cross between The Last Night of the Proms and a royal karaoke.
The palace itself became part of the performance with spectacular light projections dancing along the facade.
As Madness sang Our House (in the middle of one's street) from the rooftop, the palace was transformed into a row of terraced houses.
The grand finale was led by Sir Paul McCartney with a string of hits from the Beatles and Wings accompanied by pyrotechnics.
The stars then all gathered on stage to welcome Her Majesty and the Prince of Wales.
Witty Prince Charles caught the popular mood with a witty speech that had the crowd laughing as he talked about "Her Majesty's, mummy's" 60 year reign.
Prince Charles also paid tribute to the comedians who had hosted the concert: Rob Brydon, Miranda Hart, Lenny Henry and Lee Mack "who made those jolly good jokes" - more often than not at the expense of Prince Harry.
The three cheers that rang out along the length of The Mall in honour of The Queen were almost as loud as the spectacular fireworks display that followed.
For the last few hours we had forgotten about recession, austerity and the Eurozone financial crisis.
It was a night to remember for everyone who was there and we left clutching our wicker Jubilee hampers knowing we had been a part of something special.