Former Auburn football players Ed Christian, left, and Ladarious Phillips were among those killed in a shooting Saturday, June 9, 2012.
AUBURN, Alabama -- Many people first heard the news of the deadly shootings on Saturday night in Auburn through Twitter. Just hours later, current and former Auburn players used their social media accounts to share their feelings about the shocking event.Across the country, members of the media and even former rivals of the Auburn Tigers chimed in as well expressing their sympathies to the Auburn family over the tragic news.
Auburn senior tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen said he was "Heavy hearted" at learning the news while senior wide receiver Emory Blake tweeted "Im in disbelief, all I can do is turn to the man above."
Corey Lemonier, a junior defensive end, tweeted "Crazy how everyday is not set in stone. Prayers to those families that have lost their sons tonight."
Freshman quarterback Zeke Pike, one of the youngest members of the Auburn roster, tweeted "We can't answer why but we CAN answer where... Heaven and thats where THEY are! We gotta pray and stick together but most of all TRUST GOD!"
Other members of the Auburn community from outside the football program chimed in as well, with mens basketball coach Tony Barbee posting, "My prayers & sympathy go out 2 the parents & families of the injured and deceased.This tragic event has deeply saddened the whole AU Family."
Former Auburn quarterback and wide receiver Kodi Burns, who played for the Tigers from 2007 through 2010, tweeted "Praying for my boys and everybody in #auburn... This is so sad."
Across the state, the Alabama Crimson Tide community left their rivalry with the Tigers behind to express their sympathies over the three deaths in Auburn. Former Tide quarterback Greg McElroy, now a reserve for the New York Jets, tweeted "Just heard about the shooting at Auburn. Absolutely tragic. Everyone say a prayer for the individual's and families affected."
Meanwhile, the Tide's current starting quarterback offered his thoughts on Twitter as well.
"Two players were shot and killed I heard for auburn football team.. And one other is hurting. football is just a game #pleaseprayforautigers" tweeted AJ McCarron.
Former Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville offered his thoughts and prayers as well, tweeting "Thoughts and Prayers out to the Auburn family. A strong community that will help those who need it most."
Outside the state, the rest of the nation was in disbelief over the shocking news from Auburn. Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports tweeted "Terrible news on this Auburn mass murder. People are bringing guns to college parties in little towns like Auburn? God help us" while Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports said "Feel for everyone in tight-knit Auburn community."