By COLLEEN MCCAIN NELSON

Mitt Romney promised Latino leaders a long-term fix for immigration policy and short-term relief for immigrants in a speech Thursday that was notably softer in tone than when he was battling to win the Republican presidential nomination.
In a calibrated attempt to attract Latino voters without alienating some in his own party, Mr. Romney spoke of bipartisan solutions he would pursue as president. He pledged to reallocate green cards to allow families to stay together, let those with advanced degrees remain in the U.S. and create a path to legal status for young, undocumented immigrants if they join the military—something that isn't now allowed.
At the same time, Mr. Romney repeated his call for an increase in border patrol agents, completion of a high-tech fence on the Mexican border, strengthening regulations to verify that workers are in the U.S. legally and making it harder for visitors to illegally overstay their visas.

Associated PressMitt Romney greets attendees at the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials Thursday.

Mr. Romney also told Latino elected officials meeting in Florida at their annual conference that President Barack Obama, who will address the group Friday, is taking their support for granted.
"I will work with Republicans and Democrats to find a long-term solution" on immigration, Mr. Romney said. "I will prioritize measures that strengthen legal immigration and make it easier. And I will address the problem of illegal immigration in a civil but resolute manner."