Over a year ago, I met a new Vice President at my job. I am a Sr. Analyst. We instantly had chemistry/sparks/attraction. I could tell he was attracted to me, but I thought I would never see him again. Over the next few months, he would be very nice to me and I could tell he liked me or had a crush on me. He was always courteous and was never unprofessional, though. I started developing feelings for him, and I told this lady who is friends with him "If he likes me as a friend, as a little more than a friend, then that's okay. I think he's wonderful." I am pretty certain she told him.

Ever since then (8 months), he has been avoiding me. He will NOT come to any meetings that I am in, and when he finally did show up to one meeting, he wouldn't make eye contact with me. Now I have to say this man has a weird thing about being in a meeting with me. Before I revealed this to his friend, he had the HARDEST time scheduling a meeting with me to discuss something. He couldn't do it! Finally, my boss said "I don't know why he's so hesitant. Is it shyness? Why don't you schedule it"? I did schedule it and when I told him "I scheduled this meeting because Rita said you had wanted to meet with me" he smiled shyly. When this meeting was scheduled, he was so happy. I told him in passing "I'm meeting with you tomorrow." And he said "I know! I can't wait. It's so exciting!" and when I entered his office and asked "Hi, are you ready for me"? he said 'I'm always ready for you!" During the course of the meeting he was very professional and kind, though. I kind of felt like we were on a romantic date by his gentle talking and listening.

Once, when he saw me looking great, he passed by and when he thought I didn't see him, his whole body shook like he was scared/intimidated or just very attracted to me but didn't want to show it.

It's very weird because I have seen these lovely, sweet, sensitive sides of him, yet I have also seen the very tough, very stern, arrogant Vice President side, too. I don't get it.

So, several months after he and I met, we knew there would be a possibility that I would report into his department (not directly under him, but under the friend who I mentioned above who is his friend and is now my boss). So, he has been MY Vice President for the last 7 months or so which is the duration of the time he has been avoiding me in meetings AND following my telling his friend.

I don't go to his office, flirt with him, or pursue anything. I know this would be very inappropriate but I have very strong feelings for him. I think he developed strong feelings for me, too, but this whole thing is very confusing. He has avoided meetings for the last 8 months with me. Why is this? It's not like I am "chasing" him or telling people I adore him? Why is he so distant and/or scared of me? Please help!!! :-( Please only send me thoughtful advice :-). I would also really appreciate advice from men in positions of "power" or status. Thank you so much