I am a student of simulation and game development who primarily uses Windows, and I am wanting to get my foot in the door on iOS app and game development. I heard I will need a mac to be able to use Xcode, what is my cheapest options? I see the intro macbook air is about $999.99, and then all their units continue in cost ranging upwards of infinite $. I don't really know what kind of specs would be required, to be honest I am not very mac savvy but I doubt it will take long, I just have never chosen to deal with it before.

I don't really want to deal with workarounds like Hackintosh, I hear they are generally more bother than they are worth.

I was wanting to use something a bit more portable, I have a rig in my apartment that is my powerhouse, and wanting something a bit more light and campus friendly, if thats even an option with what I'm looking to do.

Anyone that is really familiar with app development that could give me some pointers into what I may need? I'm wanting to keep costs as low as possible.