Let's assume that the state of death is similar to one of sleep (without the dreams, of course) - you feel nothing, you think nothing, you are nothing.

Before you ask, no, I'm not suicidal. My family is better than most, and though I've kind of been depressed for quite a while since I have no friends (I've been homeschooled from middle-high school), close internet friends, my upbeat attitude (you can't really tell from just this question) and the prospect of actual friends in college usually make it better. Besides, I think that suicide is extremely selfish - your suffering is relieved, but now you've transferred that suffering to your family. Other than the sadness and shock of losing you, they also have to worry about funeral arrangements, trying to cope with this loss, etc, etc.

Life is full of hardships...especially now, with the state that the world's in. Sure, there are good times, but mostly people feel pain, sorrow, anger and other negative emotions.

Of course, there are some people who are extremely happy with life, but overall: Do you think that death is better than life?
Assuming there's no afterlife, I believe that death is the closest thing anyone can achieve to peace.