Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am considering purchasing an '04 or '05 mazda rx8, Is it risky?

I love the 04 - 05 model rx8's. I am well aware of what can happen to a rotary engine when the owner fails take care of it and the compression loss problems the renissis engine has at the 90k mile mark if it has been flooded and mistreated multiple times. I found a couple of rx8s with 50k - 70k miles on them in good shape for around $11,500. The cars handled great and passed their compression tests.

Before I consider even purchasing, is there anything else I should look for? Does this sound like a safe buy?
    I am only considering purchasing rx8's with manual transmissions

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd personally leave it alone. Ive had one and I personally know 5 people who had rx8's and not one of us had a single good thing to say about them when the time came to get rid of them. If you want a car like that, and you'd like to stick to a rotary engine, go with a 90's rx7. If rotary engines aren't a must, & you just want a small tuner style car maybe try the Infiniti G35 or G37, an old Supra, an EVO, or even a Civic Si.... You gotta look at your own requirements, but regardless, I'd stay away from the rx8's...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would deffinitely recommend a 2005 or higher.. the 04 models have had a lot of issues but Mazda worked out the kinks in '05. I have a '09 and I love it!! it's definitely the best handling car out there
    ("it has better handling than a $300,000 car" quotes Top Gear.)

youre also right to be suspicious of mistreatment alot of people are just lazy and dont take the time to take care of them.. but I see alot of people where i live with the 04-08 models and they are still running strong..

the only thing i can really recommend is check with how many previous owners there were.. most people dont get rid of their rx-8 for any thing less than poor fuel economy, their wife wants a minivan, or engine problems.. but theres no real way to know why they didnt want it any more..

look its the same situation no matter what car you buy right? just go with your gut.. i love the rx8 i wouldnt trade it for anything..

ps. g35 and g37 aren't small tuners.. theyre dual intake 3.5L V6's .. lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information