A guy who used to live in the apartment above me asked if he could stay in my new apartment's basement. He was on tough times and I felt bad for him. After a few weeks of living with me I discovered he stole 3 of my checks. They were forged and cashed under someone else's name for a total of $2,350. I reported it to the police but I'm not sure if legally I have enough proof to arrest him. I kicked him out while the police are investigating.

After that I found he had stolen lots of electronics and sold them to a local pawn shop. They have his signature. So there is indisputable proof. I filed a police report on that but the police sounded like they were only interested in getting him to return the items. I want him arrested why are they not suggesting that?

Finally, I think he also went through my mail this whole time. I ordered something from ebay and the tracking says it arrived but I never received it. If he is going through my mail he also could have taken a check for freelance work I do. I know its a federal crime to steal mail but how do you prove it? I want to make this guy pay and I don't mean money I want him to go to jail. I've never met any so f**ked up to do this to someone who helped him. God I'm so angry.

Even if I can have him arrested what is the legal process to put someone like this away? Would I need to hire a lawyer and spend lots of time in court? I wouldn't mind spending the time in court but my employers wouldn't go for it.