About 6 months ago I was stung by a bee on my wrist. It swelled up and other things began happening as well. I came down with a really bad fever...had swelling in my gums and on the roof of the inside of my mouth. I also experienced these blister like bumps around my chin and mouth. I was in so much pain that I could hardly eat.

I ended up going to the ER, and the doctor told me that what I had appeared to be herpes or some kind of skin strep. I'd never had any sort of herpes symptoms before and was completely freaked out and was very worried about the severity of my symptoms. She explained to me that its possible that I've had it for awhile or it was recently contracted. a She took some swabs from my blisters for a wound culture.I was sent home and told that if the results came back positive for HSV1/2 I would hear back from them.

I received a call a few days later and was told that Streptococci, Group G was found in my wound culture. I asked the individual who called me if anything concerning HSV arrived out of my test and she said she didn't have any results for that. I was then prescribed antibiotics for the Strep. I never heard anything about the Herpes, so I assumed that I was in the clear.

Fast forward to the present. I decided to obtain my medical record from the hospital and upon receiving them I examined the Microbiology and just saw the info about the Strep under the ***Final Reports*** of my wound culture. Nothing about HSV 1/2.

What's confusing me right now is whether or not I was even tested for HSV 1/2 to begin with because nowhere in my medical record does it say whether I'm positive or negative for HSV 1/2. I don't know if a specific wound culture test must be done to identify the virus or whether a wound culture would just identify anything(virus,bacteria, etc.) that is present. Did the doctor mess up and not even test me for Herpes??? Would HSV 1/2 be revealed in any wound culture???
The Dr. was trying to say that the bee sting may have caused my possibly un-diagnosed HSV to flare up. As I said, I received a wound culture on the bumps on my face(not the bee sting), and all that was found was Strep. I'm still unsure of whether or not HSV needs a specific type of wound culture to be discovered, or whether any virus, bacteria, or fungus would be revealed???