My boyfriend and I have been to this asian restaurant before and have never had any problems. Today, we took his dad out to eat, along w. his brother, and cousin. When we got there, everything was going good until... his dad asked the server for her name. She didn't respond right away, was confused, very quiet, and seemed very offended. She was literally taken back and became defensive, "why are you asking for my name?" in which bf's dad replied, "i'd like to know the name of our server, so in case I do need something, I can order from you. This is my first time here and I don't want it to be the last because of the service." It was uncomfortable for some at the table but I thought it was reasonable for him to ask (although I am familiar with asian culture and i'm sure she felt threatened and thought he was asking for her name bc she was in trouble?) Either way, if you're going to be at a nice restaurant (it was about a 4 star place), a server should offer their name, right?

That set it off. Bf was part of their mailing list and had $10 off an entree, so the two of us just ordered that an we would share; his dad decided to buy happy hour menu items and share with his brother and cousin. There was no need to be at a bar (although we were all of age) nor buy a drink. They had given us the lunch menu for us to order from (it was almost 3:30 and lunch stopped serving at 4). Bf's dad ordered fresh spring rolls (however in the menu, there was another name for this spring roll; like "zen spring roll"- as long as it had the prawns in it - we knew that was the one). When the food came out, they gave us the fried spring roll. We were wondering if that was the one we ordered, our server didn't clarify and just stood there and we just assumed it was the one with prawns. Another co-server brought us fresh spring rolls with the prawns (that we were wondering about) and said that was our correct order. Luckily, we didn't touch the other spring rolls but she said since the other server put in the wrong order, the fried ones were on the house.... wrong.

When we got the bill, it was all messed up. Bf was expected to pay more, even with the discount bc we had the dinner plate. From what had happened, we were there at lunch hours, had ordered before lunch hour closed, and they had given us the lunch menu. Why did we pay for a dinner plate? When he asked the server, she said that with the $10 off, he wouldn't be paying much, "just $2". Still....it wasn't right that we were expected to pay for a dinner plate when it was still lunch. The coupon had no restrictions if it was limited to a lunch or dinner entree. The server also gave a bonus reason, "we serve you dinner plate, you pay for dinner plate". My bf's dad was expected to pay for the fried spring rolls even after they had told him it was on the house bc it was the server's mistake for putting in the wrong one. Her reasoning? We still ate it so we had to pay, even if it was her mistake. I know we would have asked them to take it back if they didn't offer to give it to us for free. My bf was starting to get frustrated and simply asked her, "so why was I charged the dinner menu plate when we were hear during lunch hours, was given a lunch menu, and ordered during lunch?" She didn't say anything and just took our checks. Needless to say, we're not going there for a while and it was such a shame bc the food was good. I honestly believe it started off badly with that whole cultural difference of asking for her name...I think she was grudging since then and was playing passive-agressive...what are your thoughts?