I'm wanting a tablet for my birthday (the 15th of May), and so far I really like the idea and stuff for the Nexus 7. But my Dad thinks the Kindle is better? I don't even know why, he just said he liked it better. But most of the reviews I've seen indicate the Nexus is better, and there's the issue with Google Play. I can't get a straight answer if the Kindle Fire HD can do it without rooting, which I don't really want to do. So I turn to y'all. Can the HD do GP, or do you have to root/sideload it?

I'll be using it for web browsing and Plurking, along with videos on youtube and some other sites (gamefaqs, a few wikis), along with the LP archive (can it do Viddler and stuff like that?), and e-books and emulating games (I believe my friend said the Nexus can do DosBox, and I know it should be able to do gameboid, something I'm unsure of with the Kindle.), along with listening to music, though I'll use headphones mostly there. Also I know they aren't meant to replace laptops (and it isn't), but how are the onscreen keyboards and stuff?