I copied/pasted this from the TurboTax community center q&a's because it's my exact situation. I really need help!

I received a full scholarship but did not receive a 1098-T because I had no out of pocket cost-- how do I enter this in the [Tuition Paid] and [Scholarships/Grants Not on a 1098-T or other tax form] boxes? (Details below)

Do I enter $0 in the total tuition paid, and then subtract the billed tuition from the total scholarship I received, to put in the (Scholarships/Grants Not on a 1098-T or other tax form)?

Or do I put in the tuition billed as [tution paid] and then put in my entire scholarship grant in the [Scholarships/Grants Not on a 1098-T or other tax form] box?

Example: I was billed $5000 and received $6000 in assistance, $5000 of which covered my tution. So I had $1000 remaining for books and course materials. Do I enter $5000 as [Tuition Paid] and $6000 in [Scholarships....], or do I enter $0 in [Tuition Paid] and $1000 in [Scholarships...]?

Based on the directions, it seems like they want me to enter $0 for [Tuition Paid] and $6000 for [Scholarships...]. That doesn't make sense, because when I do, it tells me I have taxable income because my scholarship exceeded my qualified expenses, but how would it know the tuition was only $5000 and not $30,000? So I feel like I'm misunderstanding something. Please help, and thank you.
This is on my parents' tax return so they ask for each specific box and then after, they tell me whether or not to report it.