Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anne

I need help making a decision! New car or 6 month backpacking trip?

My parents offered me the choice. A new car or enough money to backpack through europe.

I really want to do the backpacking, but I don't want to have to take off of school for it.

I am a full time college student and would have to take the time off to travel (obviously).

If I were to get the car, I would finish school, start working as an RN and travel on my own later one (several years from now).

I have a car that works well now (but is a cheap "first car" junker-although I love it) and I REALLY want to travel.

What would you do?
    Most people are telling me to do the backpacking thing, but I really want to get through school and get it over with.

Please help!
    Thank you to everyone who answered.

*Just want to clarify-I do not come from money, my parents are recieving money from a lawsuit and want to reward me for excelling in school. The chance to be handed that amount of money at once won't really happen again, so I think that I will travel.

I haven't researched anything yet, so thank you for the helpful information. I do want to backpack through some of Asia, India and Egypt, so who knows what I'll end up doing after I research everything.

I am incrediablly grateful to my parents to be giving me this opportunity and know I am blessed. I am not a spoiled "rich kid" and have had to work very hard to be where I'm at now.

Thank you again.

christina h
    You can always get a car down the road.. But how many times in a life (unless you are rich) do you have a chance to go back packing in europe for 6 months.. I would say do the trip it will be worth it and you will have memories you will never forget.. Before life ties you down and you cant!!!!!!!

kristi p
    I'd go with the new car. It would be best to finsih up school and do the backpacking thing later. The car will be more useful to you right now.

Alec
    do the backpacking but dont do it now do it towards the end of the school year after all ur tests r done and stuff then summer and college

Elizabeth
    From your other questions, it looks like you're from the US. If this is the case, you may have difficulties backpacking in Europe for 6 months. The Schengen Zone only allows a 90-day tourist stay out of every 180. You could stay outside the zone for the other 90 days, but as you can see at the link, you'd have to avoid a lot of countries (including departure flights).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SchengenAgreement_map.png

My suggestion is to take the summer to backpack through Europe (for up to 3 months), go back to school in the autumn, and put the leftover money in savings towards a future car.

Alternately, consider a year abroad with a university exchange. It would give you a student visa and ample time to travel during weekends and holidays. In most European cities, you wouldn't need a car, and in many countries tuition is free (you just pay living costs).

Chrissy S
    I think that you should finish school.

It's the same concept as people that decide to take "just a year off" to go travel, work, etc before college. Soon you get yourself into debt with car loans, rent payments, etc so now you're working a full-time job just to make ends meet and college is a far distant thought.

Just get through your education - and then, and only then, take the time to work and save, and take your trip as a great big congratulations for getting through college!

cassiebaby
    New car, school is more important!
    Backpack later, Europe will still be there!

g
    go backpacking, the memories will last you longer than any car.

kiwi_says_hello
    well i may be to young to answer but i say that you stay, get a new car, and finish school... then later on you go backpacking through europe. that way you will have a job, have a new cool car, and would've finished school.
    on the other hand, backpacking could be a once in a life time oppertunity and a fun experience. you could also just go to school for a longer period( ex. instead of 4 years, take 1 year off and go to school for an extra year later). plus if your car works well, and you love it, why not go backpacking.
    so i guess if the decision was up to me, i would go backpacking. that way i have time away from school, i would get to go on a fun trip, and i could come back and make up the school i missed. well i hope for a 13 year old i helped.

CounselorDan
    How long would your car last that you have now... realistically?

That would be the question I would be asking. If your car wont last you another 3 years I would definitely say CAR!!!!

Buying a car in the future is something you will definitely have to do so getting it now is something I would do. Thats me though.

I'm very suprised that your friends are saying take the trip. You must come from money and if that is the case who cares. Pick which one you want now because you'll turn out great regardless.

Yes thats coming from someone who doesn't come from money. NOT YOUR FAULT but I'm a little bitter to tell you the truth. I wish I had your problem!

Take care and enjoy whatever choice you make. I hope you truely understand how blessed you are. You probably dont because its hard to understand what you have until you loose it.

Take care
    Daniel

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information