Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. T M

My bike doesn't move when I pedal for some reason, any help?

When I pedal my bike the chain moves and the gear set on the rear tire moves too but the tire does actually move. Is there any way to fix this? I have tools and decent mechanical knowledge so even if it's somewhat hard I can do it if I know what the problem is.

raels1
    check that it is not an exercise bike.

sorry, i don't really know. if i find out will get back to you.

The Deep
    hmmm...your drive catch on the spindle is bust maybe?...your gears cant engage the wheel ...either that or your gears arnt attached to the wheel!

Mis
    Apparently your mechanical knowledge isn't so decent if you can't figure out a bike.

Daniel L
    it would seem to me that your hadel bars are loose. if you dismantel the bars you should be able to find a spring in the handel bars. tighten it and put your bike back together that will do it

Josh C
    Check the chain on the bottom of the bike, its what makes the bike move.

Make sure the chain go's with the little spiky things.

Meredith
    The chain might be locked. Try taking it out (it might be a little oily) and put it back in.

Daniel L
    it would seem to me that your hadel bars are loose. if you dismantel the bars you should be able to find a spring in the handel bars. tighten it and put your bike back together that will do it

Chelmsford♥Reiki
    check the solder of the gear attachment to the tire. you might need a new gear/rear tire
    good luck

MadMonkey
    wow...."check the solder"? "loose handlebars"? "little spikey things"?

What are you people smoking?

You have a broken/frozen freewheel or free hub. The mechanism that connects the gears on the wheel to the hub is a ratchet system with spring loaded pawls. The pawls inside the ratchet have either broken off or are stuck so they don't engage. It's possible that , if it's a freehub, the retainer nut has come loose and the freehub body has slipped out of the wheel hub, but it isn't likely.

If it's a freehub, You need a new wheel. If the pawls are broken, they can't be fixed. If they are frozen, you need special tools to disassemble the freehub body, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to get them clean of rust and crap so that it doesn't happen again. If the retaining nut has come loose, it's likely that the pawls and springs have fallen out.

If it's a freewheel, you may be able to get away with replacing it. but it's possible that the freewheel is frozen to the hub as well, and you'll never get it off. So you'll need a new wheel then as well.

Even if it's just a broken freewheel, you need special tools to get it off, and just hope it isn't a suntour two prong style - those _never_ come off.

Take it to a bike shop. Someone needs to actually see this to diagnose it properly. Or you could just change the handlebars and hope for the best (wow.....)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information