Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    nitroriderxv

Can i put a 355 engine in a 85 Toyota Pickup?

People tell me the biggest engine in a 85 Toyota would be a 350 but i want to kick it up a notch, and would it be illegal to switch it out? And what would be an estimate price for it?

LeAnne
    Seriously, you can put any engine into any vehicle - the work and expense involved simply makes countless swaps impractical.
    For what it's worth, if a 350 fits, the 355 is identical (it's essentially a 350 with a 0.030" larger bore.)

gonefishin
    a 355 is a 350 engine its just been bored out .30 over. the outside does not change. just the internal piston width. no its not illegal . summit racing or northern auto parts sell kits to adapt motor and tranny mounts for the conversion. $$$ wise its hard to say it depends how far you go. stock or built up with headers and a 4 barrel anywhere from 500- 10000. how much do have to spend and how fast do you wanna go?

Tex G
    Not without a lot of money, The hold under carries will hap to be re paced from front to rear. Work down to te fire wall and front mover ed out. I will all hap to be done custom ed. Any thing can be done with a lot green backs. This cost around $10,000 for parts. This may be low. Another $5,000 to $20,000 in special labor. Nothing under the vehicle will be the same. It will hap to have a special inspection to make sure it is safe to be on the road. If it passes, which could take a couple years. The insurance would eat you up. Light body, big motor, would be deemed a race car. Not legal in the USA.

Dan G
    it can be done,but would not be worth the trouble unless you were making a total off road truck.first the motor frame mounts will have to be re-positioned and welded.second the rear axle will not hang with the new torque a v-8 produces for long.third the drive shaft will have to be cut to fit re-welded and balanced.whew.....a lot of work!! i would estimate it to be at least $2500-$3000

Ubu
    If you don't know the difference between a 350 and a 355 then cancel the project.

Lab
    Well first and foremost, You have a VERY big job in front of you. Not only are you adding a bigger engine, you are adding a transmission to match and shorting the drive shaft and putting in a proper differential to handel all that will follow. The entire frame will have to be strengthened, suspension beefed way up, cab and engine compartment chopped, strengthened and modified to fit this mess, fuel system completely redone and of course. the custom exhaust system. How much? About 20-30 thousand, probably more, to be done properly.

shel_bug66
    Wow! Not one person said it can't be done. I agree, if you don't know the difference between a 350 and a 355 you should just find another project. If you were capable of doing this yourself you could easily do the job for under $5,000.00. Alot depends on what type of engine you want to use. How many dollars do you want to put into it? How fast do you really want it to go? Is it a daily "Legal" driver? Lots of q's to ask yourself. If you can fabricate you will save thousands doing it yourself. You can get everything you need at a wrecking yard. The best thing would be to find a decent wrecked older C-10 with a 350/350 combo. Use all the drive train out of it from the front pulley to the differential. All you would really have to do is some cutting at the firewall and around the grille area and fabricate the motor mound pads which is a walk in the park if you know what you are doing. You can shorten the 12 bolt yourself and buy the new bearing ends and shortened axles right from Summit Racing, whatever length you need. The driveline you will have to take to a driveline shop to have it shortened and balanced. As far as the legality of this project, that depends on what state you live it. No matter where it is I would say you won't have a problem. If you live in a state where you have safety inspections you will have to do a good job. I live in Ca. This would be no problem but then again I live in a no smog zone so bi-ennial is not a concern for me. As for the frame, it's more than enough. I have a bare Toyota truck frame right now that is intended for a small block Ford. It is slated to go under a 66 Bug. Of course I will just be using the front clip of the frame and building a tube chassis from there back but the front suspension is perfect and all the geometry works so it is a good choice for this project. Keeps it low bucks, no need to spend five grand on a front clip when a $200.00 Toyota will work just fine. If you can't do this yourself, scrap the idea. Have fun.

Kenneth B
    transdapt makes kits to put just about anything in anything look for it on the net engine swaps and trans

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information