Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bizzurke
    i did horseback riding for two years, never got hurt. aside from the smell its fine lol. some people do fall off....but it doesnt really happen much and its usually in cantering, jumping, galloping that it happens. im sure you know that though =)

dirt bikes and such, it really depends on the person riding. usually accidents happen because precautions arent taken. i'll let my son ride quads and stuff first, get used to that, then dirt bikes. im not sure about a motorcylce though. and i'll make sure he is wearing all the proper gear and driving cautiously or else its a no go. i dont really think he'll wanna horseback ride lol.

in my experience injuries happen in most every sport, its inevitable to me.

Alyssa's mommy
    I've never ridden an ATV or any of that, it looks dangerous and its not my thing. I have ridden horses though.

I think horses would be a safer choice, but there are a lot of risks you have to acknowledge. My aunt is permanently disabled from a horse accident. She's walked with a cane since 20 years old. I've spent hours in the ER with one of my friends because her horse has stepped on her a few times after throwing her off.

CollegeMutant10
    I would go for horses. Not as fast and usually don't act out.

Busy Mommy

Which are you more comfortable with, ATV/dirt bike riding or Horseback riding?

Which do you consider more dangerous?

Do your kids do either?/ Would you let them do either?

What age did they start if they did?

Have they ever been injured?

I'm curious because I started horseback riding as a child, around 8 years old. I've had a few injuries, fractured nose, broken toes, sprained wrists/ankles, back injuries, etc. I kept on till my teen years when I had an accident that made me walk away (chicken, I know)

Thinking ahead, I'd let my daughter ride, but I don't feel comfortable with dirt bikes/ATV's/Motorcycles, all of which her dad rides and has had a major accident and horrible injuries with...

My thinking is that the motorized riding sports can potentially be more dangerous that with horses...Based on personal experiences.

What are your thoughts?

Nina Lee
    There are so many factors. It depends on the horse. It depends on the responsibility of the child/ person driving the ATV. It's not that black and white in my opinion. I've been thrown off of a horse and I've seen some ATV accidents.
    My kids are young (4 and 12 months). My 4 year old has ridden on the back of an ATV w/ a responsible person driving slowly and wearing a helmet. He has also sat on a horse (I'm not comfortable enough to let him ride alone just yet). He was almost 4 when he did both for the 1st time.

Marie
    I am most comfortable with ATVs.

I don't like dirtbikes

Horses I do love to ride horses but you always have to be calm and you have to know what you are doing.

Nomatter what a horse will have a mind of its own.

I don't have kids yet but I will allow them to ride ATVS.

They make them so you can start early with them.

My sisters have been riding ATVS since they were 4. (My sisters are now 14 and 9 and both are real good at it)

I've only been riding since I was 18.

My sisters started riding horses at age 12 and 7. And I have only been riding a short time. About 2 years (I'm 23 now)

I would probably let my kids do both when they start to show and interest but only after they know how to do it. Lessons lessons lessons.

I would probably have my sister help me teach the ATV.

I just feel with an ATV you have more control than you do with a horse.

I have seen a 19 hands throughbred roll over on my grandfather.....I'm just not as comfortable.

THough my uncle almost got himself killed recklessly operating an ATV.

I think there are risks with both but I'm going to let me kid live a little. I was always sheltered from things like that.

HalfWayThere
    I would think they are both pretty dangerous. Maybe riding is worse because The Difference being a machine doesn't have a mind of its own. A horse does. But that is my personal experience and opinion
    My daughter rides, mainly because I do, and that started her off.
    She first sat on a horse at about 3. I may have been younger.
    She has fallen all right. A few bruises and such. But she always gets back up. Of course I encourage her to get back up, because if you don't you lose confidence and is scarier the next time. But if she really doesn't want to she doesn't have to. I pride myself in not being one of those pushy moms. After all she is only 5 and falling is pretty traumatic, I even find that at my age and I have been riding for 22 years give or take.

stay@homemomma
    i'm a chicken. i'll put that out there first. not so much w/horses. i love horses. my FIL has 2 that i have ridden and would let my kids.
    the ATV's and such - not a fan. at all. my husband wants one, but i would worry about him more than the kids! we actually have some land that i might be able to do go cart with the cage on it. maybe. if they really wanted it and wore helmets and seat belts. maybe.

Jamie Came Early!
    I'm terrified of horses. You can't completely contol them.

I'm scared of riding on ATVs. Just doesn't seem safe lol.

Given that I'm where I am... I have to suck it up with him and ATVs... Mud riding anyone? Plus, my uncle owns a ATV store... So, Jamie will know what to do or not do on ATVs... and Mommy will just hold her breath and tongue.

Selar
    having a horse farm myself I would love to point out horses do have a mind of there own. They will act out, and if you are afraid or timid they will take advantage of that. Horseback riding is extremely dangerous, at anytime a horse can be spooked and flee or cause serious injury. While beautiful, horses are 1000-2000 pound animals. ATV are also dangerous however it is up to you how they are handled, they do not have a mind of their own. But statistics are high in injuries, rollovers, being paralyzed or getting killed. Until my child was responsible thye would be on neither. With that said most adults are not responisble and they lead the injury/death list on both.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information