Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are you views on the governments proposed price hikes on alcohol?

Just thought I'd do a quick what not to see what the opinions are.
    Thank god it ain't happening.

jaypauldini
    lets put it this way,

when i was 18 a case of 24 cans was £13, i used to earn £30 a week,

now 24 cans is £13, and i eanr £500 a week.

so putting up the price is a good idea, as it is too cheap,

also before supermarkets were allowed to sell booze, only off licenses could, and they wre just sliightly less than a pub, but now they are much cheaper than the pub.

all the crap caused a tnight, is caused by pissed up people, you odnt seeloads of trouble in the day time,

so i say make it expensive, inline with pubs, so its fair and put soff people getting rat arsed every night.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our government is a joke and needs replaced.

GEORGE B
    Part of softening up process
    Govt have said no as it will alienate voters but watch the duty rise in the next budget

Jan409
    it has already been decided by govt that it isn't happening

as they think it's unfair to the social drinker

so case closed !

gingermunkie
    I think it might lead to more people drinking at home rather than going out, or drinking at home before they go out. Either of these has the potential to increase the amount people drink rather than reduce it.

If people want to binge drink then they will; they don't decide to drink because it's cheap and therefore a price hike won't stop them. I think the government should look at why we drink to much in the UK. Is it because we have the longest working hours in Europe and therefore more likely to suffer from stress? Why are so many people so unhappy that they risk all the health problems associated with alcohol just to escape from they're worries for a while?

When me and my friends go to a pub we think is overpriced we have been known to take our own drink in and sneak it into our glasses when no-one's looking! So I don't think the price hike will change how much problem drinkers drink, it will just make them more creative!

David H
    Will it solve anything?

Zee-ster
    Just another way to wring a buck from us. In my state, they're talking about raising the gas tax by 19 cents per gallon. When you pile on income, luxury, sales, gas, cigarettes, booze, property...all the taxes combined going "up and up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon!" it feels like "stick 'em up" and we've got less and less to give. There's only so many times you can shake down a broke before we go bust.

Owen Money
    It was a bad idea, it would just make us poorer and not solve anything

Athena
    It's the usual punish everybody attitude and it's not at all fair. We're not all drunken louts who spend our weekends fighting and vomiting although many of us enjoy a drink.
    The answer is not the price of booze it's the opening hours that the Government introduced. Now they've screwed up they see an opportunity for a tax grab. It's always about tax in this country.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information