Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Lettuce

"Jesus was disliked because he drank, went to parties and hung out with the...

...wrong people" Discuss? "Jesus was disliked because he drank too much, went to too many parties and hung out with the wrong kind of people"

So... what do people think of this statement?

It was made by a Christians friend of mine and it struck me as unusual, and from my limited knowledge of Jesus's life, untrue. What do people more educated on the subject think about this...?

All input welcome. Please tell me your religion so I can interpret results, if that's ok.
    Oh dear - please take note of the information under thequestion title. This was a comment by a Christian friend and I wnated to see what people think is all. It's not 'my' anything!

In the Bible, a lot of the Pharisee Jews sure didn't like it!
    One Jewish guy actually got infuriated after Jesus let a prostitute inside his house!

3'9's-3'6's=1GOD
    Is this your version of the bible GOD forbid.

Sarah
    1- the water wasn't safe to drink
    2- the "wrong people" he was with were repentant. he saved them from their sin, and they were grateful.

Sarah
    1- the water wasn't safe to drink
    2- the "wrong people" he was with were repentant. he saved them from their sin, and they were grateful.

הבת של יהוה
    He was disliked by the Pharisee's specifically because he spent time with sinners, but as for drinking to much and going to too many parties, that's completely false.

According to the bible this is true. He obviously drank wine and he hung out with tax collectors, prostitutes and other unsavory people. The Pharisees made note of this.

However, Jesus never actually existed so in reality it is false.

According to the bible this is true. He obviously drank wine and he hung out with tax collectors, prostitutes and other unsavory people. The Pharisees made note of this.

However, Jesus never actually existed so in reality it is false.

Captain America
    I think it was the combination of those things. I'm not sure He drank in the presence of winebibbers, but He did drink wine on occasion. Christ was willing to associate with the dregs of society because He loved them and wanted to save them and cynics, just like today, put a negative spin on it and tried to say He was just like them.

When Christ was confronted about this, He said "I did not come to save the righteous, but the sinners". Of course, no one is righteous, but He was making a point.

ADDED: I'm always amazed at people's brash ignorance. Ignorance isn't too bad if you're not brash about it. 3-9 or whatever your name is, that IS what the Bible teaches even though it is sort of a loose paraphrase, and as to the person who said Jesus never existed, let me tell you, there are many who are hostile to the Christian faith that could make you look like a fool for saying such a thing. You dont' have to be a Christian to see that He is historically verifiable. Even among secular scholars, those who try to say Jesus never existed are relegated to the looney fringe.

ADDED: Ok, I guess I should clarify. Jesus NEVER drank to excess and its not even 100% clear if the wine He had had any significant amount of alchohol, but I was viewing the quote as meaning Christ drank too much for some people's liking.

Captain America
    I think it was the combination of those things. I'm not sure He drank in the presence of winebibbers, but He did drink wine on occasion. Christ was willing to associate with the dregs of society because He loved them and wanted to save them and cynics, just like today, put a negative spin on it and tried to say He was just like them.

When Christ was confronted about this, He said "I did not come to save the righteous, but the sinners". Of course, no one is righteous, but He was making a point.

ADDED: I'm always amazed at people's brash ignorance. Ignorance isn't too bad if you're not brash about it. 3-9 or whatever your name is, that IS what the Bible teaches even though it is sort of a loose paraphrase, and as to the person who said Jesus never existed, let me tell you, there are many who are hostile to the Christian faith that could make you look like a fool for saying such a thing. You dont' have to be a Christian to see that He is historically verifiable. Even among secular scholars, those who try to say Jesus never existed are relegated to the looney fringe.

ADDED: Ok, I guess I should clarify. Jesus NEVER drank to excess and its not even 100% clear if the wine He had had any significant amount of alchohol, but I was viewing the quote as meaning Christ drank too much for some people's liking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information