Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    just-true blue

Should men be able to terminate their financial responsibility to an unwanted child?

I mean, if women can choose to keep a child against the father's wishes, should he be absolved of all financial responsibility?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No.

It takes two to tango.

If men want to f*** they have to bear the responsibility of the consequence, regardless of whther or not he wants the child.

If this sort of reasoning were legally allowed, we would see all sorts of horrific divorce proceedings in which men state (to get out of paying child support) "My wife forced me to have a kid. I never wanted little Jimmy here"

nihilizer
    That's a toughy that I don't feel is worth debating over. I commend you for asking such a question while being female as it shows that you can view things from the perspective of the opposite side. I've thought about it, but seeing as how I'm not likely to get myself into such a situation, I'm not disturbed by it.

True equality can't be had in this arena because the sexes aren't physically equal in this arena. I think this decision is a give for a different take.

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HE should think of the risks before having sex rather than after an unplanned or unwanted child is born. If he does not want to bear financial responsibility of a child, don't have sex.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes they should. Funny how a woman can terminate a pregnancy without the father having any say, but if the father wants the pregnancy terminated, its tough luck for him.

audgepoo
    Hell no, he's the one who wanted to have sex with you. He made that choice, he made that baby with his sperm, with his cell, it's half way him. He brought that baby here.

I don't know if you can or can't do that though. That's just my opinion.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes.

And if the mother says the man can't see the child then yes again.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I sort of agree with your reasoning. After all, if the woman gives the baby up for adoption then the father has no responsibilities, so the responsibilties are not absolute.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a matter of you play, you pay. That's more or less the rule that society has set and there are no exceptions that I know of.

In other words, if there is a kid, and you're the father, you're responsible, regardless of any decision or action on the part of the mother.

Edit Add: Please understand that the law may view the matter differently. Those are my opinions and if I had a say in the matter, that is how I would view the responsibility.

However, ymmv (Your mileage may vary), which means that it really is a matter of how the laws are written and enforced in the appropriate jurisdictions.

What I don't understand is why anybody would WANT to terminate their financial responsibility to ANY child coming into this harsh and crazy dog-eat-dog world we all live in...

For chrissakes! It's a helpless baby...let's give it at least a good chance by having both parents take some responsibility (Lovingly as well as financially, babies need a lot of love to grow up to be good people) regardless of the fact the women decided not to abort...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information