Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Catholic Groom, Bride, and Groom's family - brides family Protestant! What

so you think we should do? Ok, I'm getting married soon. I'm Catholic, my fiance is Catholic, his parents are Catholic, and as far as I know the rest of his family is Catholic. My family (My dad, brother and sister) aren't Catholic - but they understand the faith and know how to be respectful in a Catholic church. So looking at this all is good. But here's the thing that has me nervous... My fiance and I are having a Catholic wedding - we've finalized that! - but the rest of my family is Protestant. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins - all of them.
    I'm a convert and one of my aunts had some issues with me being Catholic when she first heard I converted. What in the world am I going to do when it comes to the wedding ceremony?? I'm terrified of what she - hell what the any of them! - will do at the wedding!
    Any suggestions? Words of encouragement?

arrrrkt
    Wear a flak jacket.

And fer Chrissakes, DON'T SERVE ALCOHOL!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Regardless of her feelings (or others), I'm pretty sure no one within Christianity would disrespect inside a Church. I wouldn't worry too much

And after the actual ceremony, at the reception, I highly doubt they'd be thinking of religion :P

Congratz! And think positive, don't let this trouble you in this happy time

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't suggest ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away.

It is your wedding, but, if you want to just have a protestant ceremony and not say or do anything to acknowledge your husband and his family's faith, then you should be prepared for the fact that they will notice, and you should also prepare yourself to ignore with a good attitude any comments or actions they might make or take.

Personally what I would recommend instead is going to someone in his family and talking about this. If you are too uncomfortable to talk about this now, then that is not going to be good for the future, because this is a big issue and it is going to continue to be a big issue. Go to someone, maybe ask your husband who would be good to go to, and express to them that you are having a protestant ceremony, but that you want to accomodate/show respect to/acknowledge (whatever word you want to use) their Catholic faith, and that you would like their guidance as to how exactly to do that. If you've already settled on having a Protestant ceremony, as in the words, you can say that that part is already decided on and won't be changed, but that any other part they might feel is important to them, any gestures during the ceremony, maybe a blessing said, maybe communion, maybe a particular prayer, maybe something in the reception, but my point is, there might be something really important to them (i don't know, I'm not catholic) that they are going to be saying "oh my god, they aren't even going to do a "insert catholic thing here"", and it might be an excellent gesture on your part to accommodate that.

They might be impressed with your communication, or with your effort to reach out to them. It would start your relation with his family on a peaceful note, extending a welcome to their family from yours, than starting it on an adversarial note, fighting about this.

Peace isn't something that just happens, you have to act for it.

My point is; if you want to know how they feel, then you should TALK TO them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Repeat after me:

"Stand when we stand, sit when we sit, kneel when we kneel -- and for Pete's sake don't take the Eucharist! Oh and no, you don't have to touch the holy water nor make the sign of the cross."

LOL really though, most priests will say at the beginning of the Matrimony Mass that non-Catholics are not to take the Eucharist, they are used to it.

Don't stress about it. It'll go better then you imagine now. Just hope for the best and take comfort the priest has already seen it ALL.

Congratulations and God Bless you both!

ATHEISTIC ASTROLOGER
    RUN I HEAR BANJOS

Since your resentful family will be coming to a Catholic church for the wedding, warn them that alcohol will be served at communion. The rest they should be able to cope with and maybe the alcohol. I can't see why there should be a problem.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    break off the engagement it will never work, protestants are like, from another planet, they will try tell you mary wasn't really a virgin, and if they accuse her, they'll accuse you too. All you'll hear all day will be "OMG i can't believe she has the nerve to wearwhite, whore". See they'll even take the lords name in vain. They are satan. Catholic all the way

Green Phoenix
    Well, it is YOUR wedding, not your relatives! If you're Catholic, have a Catholic wedding! Don't change it for them, but don't be super in their face after the wedding about it being Catholic. You should both respect each others faiths, but bottom line, it is not their wedding. I (if I ever do get married) am looking fore ward to having a Catholic wedding in a nice church. Don't tiptoe around their weddings, do they do that at theirs for you? No, most likely not. So just go with your dream wedding, and forget about what your family wants for your wedding. It's your day! Best wishes!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to the drive through in Vegas and get Elvis to marry you. CONGRATS!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information