Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    platinumcatalyst

Is a yamaha virago a girl's bike?

So I'm an 18 year old male and want a motorbike to get maybe 3km to uni each day. I've seen some pretty cheap 250 viragos for sale (as in less than $1000).
    I can't ride anything over 250cc which rules out a cossack, and I'm wondering if I ride a virago will people assume I'm a homosexual?

I weigh about 65kg (140lb) and am about 5'11. Thing is the only people I've seen on these bikes, even the larger ones are girls.
    Is there something I should know? Or can you suggest an alternative bike for a similar price?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Think yourself lucky
    In the UK you'd be restricted to a 125...
    anyway no one cares what you ride it's how you ride and what you wear.
    Now if you start tying a 'kerchief" to your handlebars and hanging one out of your pocket THEN people will think YOU are otherwise inclined.

Be yourself, be a safe and good rider; there is nothing wrong with feeling good about riding a bike

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Virago is definitely a girl's bike..... if a girl owns it. For what you say you want it for, it will fit the purpose well.
    Don't worry about what others think. Be happy, and ride safely.
    Good luck.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you are insecure in your masculinity.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, it is not a girl's bike. True a lot of females do ride them simply because they sit very low to the ground and are light and many ladies are short legged. My wife rod one for years for that very reason then in 2007 she upgraded to an 800cc. Over the years I have seen many men start off on a small bike lie this. Macho is just an attitude. Heck I am looked down on due to owning and enjoying an 883 Harley Sportster.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Despite a Girly name ( A sharp shrewish tongue, A scold) Virago was chosen because it started with a V, All Yamaha V engines are named with a V, Virago ,Vision,Venture and V-Max, it's marketing.
    I bought a 750 Virago new in '81 and before search engines couldn't find Virago in any known dictionary, then one day I glanced down at the magizines on the break room table and saw "How Not to be a Virago" in a Redbook cover story.
    @5'11" you may not fit. Don't worry about steryo typing , it's usually wrong, Drive by a gay biker bar and there wont be a 250 in the lot, lots of HD's with leather tassles and and side bags but no 250's.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't understand. Why would people think you are homosexual if you ride a smaller motorcycle? Why would you even care what other people think. Are you worried that other homosexuals will come on to you and you will give in to temptation? I'm sorry, but I have never cared what others' think and really do not understand why people do so.

Yamaha's little 250 cruiser is a good bike. From what I've read one of the faster 250's, more than capable of running the freeways and highways; as well as being light and agile in the city. With the V-Twin design it is a little longer and roomier than the other 250's. Any motorcycle in good running condition for under a grand is a good bike -- when you are cheap you can't be picky.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's no such thing as a girl's bike. If you are so worried about what others think, then maybe you shouldn't ride.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information