Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Why is it OK for modern authors to write about King Arthur?

Lots of modern writers have published their take on the King Arthur legends, and it is considered OK. The same authors couldn't, for instance, write about Harry Potter because of copyrights. So what's the deal-are there no copyrights on Arthur or is it because he's a traditional folktale?

Chenoa Nâ¤Aâ¤I
    modern authors can do what ever they want to twit

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    King Arthur is a legend, Harry Potter was made up by JK Rowling so she owns the rights

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Copyright laws don't last forever. I believe it's somewhere between 50 or 75 years after the author's death, or something like that-- I used to know this but I forgot.

For example, Gregory McGuire, who wrote "Wicked" (based on the Wizard of Oz characters) had to wait a certain amount of time for the copyright on the characters to expire before he could publish his books.

There is also a sequel to Phantom of the Opera that the author waited for the copyright to run out on.

I expect in 100 years or so, if people are still interested in Harry Potter and the Wizarding world JK Rowling created, they will be writing about them again, free from copyright infringement.

The copyright is to protect your work from being used by others, but there are certain figures in legends and mythology that no one holds the copyright on because they are so old or no one knows their origins.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information