Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Rani of the Yadu Vamsa
    i'm in a christian country, studying in a christian school in a christian environment but i'm not christian but i'm a Hare Krishna/Hindu. religion isn't geographic. this is just the thing that caught my attention.

Arguing about Religion?

I find religious arguments, atheists vs. believers, and believers against believers of another religion very funny.

Let's break it down. What religion you 'are'/believe in is largely a product of your parents, which in turn is a product of location. That's it. That explains religion. Religion is geographic, and that's what I find so humorous in religious debates. That is why I don't believe.

If you were born in America, you have a good chance of being a christian. If you were born in any one of the many middle eastern countries, you are probably muslim. India, probably hindu, etc. etc.

So by what criteria or basis do you judge others, or tell them that they are wrong, when your religion is largely based on geography?

We can even do it within America. Born in the South? Probably Methodist or Baptist. New England or parts of the Midwest? Roman Catholic. You're a yuppie, probably go to a non denominational christian mega church that resembles a sports stadium, with a coffee shop in the lobby.

Some people, when debating religion, get hung up on evolution vs. creationism. That doesn't even enter my thinking, because I realize religion is all a product of geography.

Anyway, how can you say someone is wrong when you only believe what you believe because that belief is prevalent in your area? (Born agains, or late converts are excluded from my argument because they chose their religion at a later time).
    To clarify, I proudly call myself an atheist, I don't care what you think.

If my non-belief angers you, too bad.
    Man absolutely created religion. Religion was created, and is still perpetuated, for comfort and control.

It is natural to wonder what will happen after death. It is desirable to control the populace with threats of eternal misery if you don't behave. Enter religion.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all about who has the bigger stick. Whether it is made out of pine or oak or maple is irrelevant to the fight. That's the way it has been for centuries. Nobody ever fights and wins because they have advanced their idea and convinced others the new idea is correct. They win because they put down others. Social (and religious) views change through revolution, not rational thinking.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you 'could' say that the place you were born was chosen for you or you decided it before you were born .. either way i dont find it funny at all it divides people ..

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are arguing for atheism.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information