Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    violakuso

12 miles in 45 minutes for a road bike...is that good or bad?

This is my 3 time out riding a road bike. The only other biking experience i have is when I was a kid. It's about 85 degrees here and I rode 12 miles in 45 minutes. I'm female if that matters and hit several traffic lights. I'm hoping to be able to race in a Cat. 4 32 miles by july 19th...at this rate to you think it's feasible? or should i train more. i'm not exhausted by any means at the end of my rides..i think i could easily double it, if I found a less hilly route. The one I take has some huge hills. I just don't know what to expect in the race and don't want to get humiliated. Any advice would be appreciated

When I ride by myself I do my 16 mile route in about 35 minutes. I get up to 41 mph and average 19-20 mph

When I ride with my girlfriend on the same route it takes about 45-50 minutes. I have to go slower up the hills and coast more going down hills. When I am by myself I go up a 2/3mi hill and I never go below 16 mph. Its a pretty steep hill. With her we're lucky to go 10 mph.

Not sure what the race is you are talking about but I did a triathalon (.5 mi swimming, 4.5 mi running & 15mi biking) last year with a mountain bike and finished in 103:15. I thought I was going to get smoked because all the other racers had road bikes but I actually passed a bunch of them up hills. My advice is to just give it a try. If you are young you have that going for you. If you dont do it you will regret it. Believe me, you wont finish in last.

GOOD LUCK, give 'em hell!

*********EDIT

Oh yeah I have a P.O.S. bike, too

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good start I think you could race, I don't think you'd come in 1st place or anything, but you wouldn't humiliate yourself. I would keep training and pushing yourself until then though. Try to go a little longer and a little faster place each time you ride. Good Luck!

don't do that - peloton riding
    it;s dangerous and silly
    you aren;t going to race in a team, why train that way?
    people who do that in traffic have a death wish

wle.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That averages 16 mph.

I don't want to depress you, just being honest. You don't stand a chance if 16 mph is your best effort for 12 miles in a Cat 4 race. You can participate in the race, but don't expect to stand on the podium. If 12 miles is your longest distance, you might struggle to finish 32 miles. I would practice with longer distances. Riding in the hills will help strengthen you and going down is always fun. You do need more training and have time before July 19th. 85 degrees shouldn't slow you, just stay hydrated by consuming a 24 ounce bottle of water every hour of riding in the heat.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are on your way. I am nowhere near where you are, but used to be a long time ago. I used to train in the Philly area where there are some real good hills. 12 miles in 45 min is excellent. I have done 10 in a half an hour, but that was with a real good tailwind, and non-stop on a long stretch. It took me over an hour to get back because of the headwind, but you get the idea. I do not think you will be humiliated. Find a group to ride with, and get in with a pack riding a criterion. You should get used to riding in a pack, and taking the lead, and learn to ride 6 inches off the person in front of you off their back wheel. You will find that your wind decreases, and your speed increases. Keep going, you are doing great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information