Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    robedzombiesoul
    Yes they should.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

Anpadh
    Feminists don't cause breast cancer any more than breast cancer causes feminists. However, many of the intelligent feminists are often quite stupid and all the really stupid ones equate feminism with lesbianism and/or man-bashing. True feminism isn't even really about women. It is about the FEMININE. Every man has a feminine side and every woman has a masculine side. Successful women usually wear male clothing -- suit and tie. Successful men never wear skirts or cocktail gowns to work. In other words, the male aspect of human personality is considered the norm, even for women. Women who wear jeans and shirts without a bra underneath aren't considered cross-dressers. But men who wear women's blouses with a bra underneath are considered cross-dressers. The idea behind feminism, originally, was to make people aware of their feminine side and to take pride in it. Feminism was about bringing balance between the male and the female aspects of the SAME individual's personality. Feminism was always about love and harmony, never about hate and conflict. It was about revering the Mother but not by castrating or casting out the Father.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

fishman
    I think it's terrible that anybody thinks it's OK not to care when somebody dies for whatever reason, no matter their beliefs.

That said, there is a strong correlation between the lifestyle changes with the advent of feminism and some of the maladies that women now suffer. Breast cancer is only one of them. Endometriosis is another...did you know that one adult woman in three now has it, and it was almost unheard of until the 70's? Food additives and pollution are certainly other causal factors, but psychological effects on health rank way up...don't kid yourselves.

Anpadh - Anybody who thinks they know it all just because they studied feminism in a strongly feminist environment is a fool.

Edit - Bonzai Betty - What is also true about most Asian countries is that they don't have feminism over there.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

LadyWyntre
    I feel compelled to note here that correlation is not causation. There are a number of other factors which have also increased in the past 40 years or so, which is why you haven't seen any studies directly linking feminism and breast cancer. It's an unproven link, to put it mildly.

Let me put this in more colloquial terms. Have you heard of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Yes, I know, it sounds rather odd. It's a satire against those who are trying to teach creationism in schools. It's relevant here because of one of its main teachings: that the lack of pirates has caused global warming. They have a delightful graph and can, beyond a doubt, "prove" that as the number of pirates in the world has decreased, the average global temperature has increased. Of course, this means that doing away with pirates is the chief cause of global warming, right?

...no. Correlation is not causation. There are a number of factors leading to the near-demise of piracy as a workable occupation, and there are a number of different factors leading to global warming. Just because they happened at the same time doesn't mean there's a link.

Some other things to consider: there *are* feminists in Africa and certainly in Asia as well. The incidence of *diagnosed* breast cancer is much lower in those countries, but the incidence of testing is lower as well. Pollution is obviously lower in Africa and parts of Asia, and many people point to pollutants as a dominant factor in cancer.

Some statistics are in order. Certain factors correlate much more closely with breast cancer than those you mention, according to the American Cancer Society. Those factors include age, genetics (5-10 percent of cases), family history, radiation, early menstruation, etc. The reason children and breast-feeding seem to reduce the occurance of breast cancer (although the correlation there is "slight," according to the ACS, meaning far less significant than other factors) is because both reduce the number of periods that a woman has in her lifetime. The more periods, researchers think, the greater the chance of breast cancer. Use of alcohol is another factor, as is obesity/lack of exercise. Recent studies have even suggested that there might be a correlation between women who work night shifts (like nurses) might be at greater risk. There's a lot we don't know about breast cancer, but what we do know indicates that it's a complicated, difficult disease with multiple trigger-causes.

Finally, you asked--why should you care if they get breast cancer? Well, "they" might include your mother, your sister, your friend. Two friends of mine--both pastors' wives, both teachers, both parents--have battled breast cancer. While I consider myself an independent woman, neither of them would self-describe as feminist. Neither of them had hit menopause at the time of diagnosis, either. My point in bringing up these women is that breast cancer strikes many women who don't fit the model that you've indicated. They aren't feminists who don't have children (although *I* am, and I have been, to this point, free of cancer).

I hope this provides some thought-provoking fodder for you.