Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Shivi

How do you stop whining?

I haven't got a dog yet but I'm afraid of what to do if it starts whining.
    Sensible answers only.
    Whining is not a small matter. Pee and poop is. Whining can make you lose hours of sleep and can drive your neighbours crazy and you all know what angry neighbours do. Call the council, and that's the end of you dog so the person who said that this was a small problem is very ignorant!

Powered by Yahoo Answers

spnkimberlynne
    the best way, is ignoring it. he will learn that whining gets him nothing! if you answer his whining, he will do it all the time to get what he wants

Powered by Yahoo Answers

Got rice?
    Call the Dog Whisperer.

... or at least watch enough of his shows to know that consistency with discipline is key. Nothing harsh, if you grab a dog by his jowls, that's where another dog would grab him to secure dominance.

Worked with my old roomie's beagle.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

foxfiretlc
    When a puppy whines it means it's lonely for it's siblings or mom. When i Got my chihauhau we use an old fashioned ticking clock. On evenings when that didn't work he slept in a clothes basket by the side of our bed. Depending on how you feel about your future dogs sleeping arrangements, The puppy may even end up sleeping with you. Mine does now that he's older. He sleeps at my feet on the end of my bed. You can also use a hot water bottle for warm as long as it isn't scalding hot and you wrap it in an old towel or piece of blanket.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

bubbles
    don't react to the whining. he/she will learn that whining doesn't get them what they want. don't reward bad behavior...ignore it. BUT if you don't want to have a dog that whines, DON'T get a dog and certainly DON'T have a baby. BOTH are HUGE responsibilities and BOTH whine at some point in time. i have both and am tired ALL the time. on the flip side, they bring me so much joy. i can't imagine life without either...especially my baby:)
    don't rush into getting a pup. THINK long and hard about it.