Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mum Of 2 Boyz

Need new pup to stay outside but keeps whining.?

Hi, we just bought home a 14wk old staffy that has been staying outside since birth & when we bought him home it was raining & cold outside so we allowed him to stay inside for the night just until he got used to us & until we could make sure there wasnt anywhere he could escape from outside. Then it was raining again the next day & we thought he was going to be ok outside in his new kennel under shelter but all he did was cry & howling & shivering so we thought that one more night shouldnt hurt & let him in. We shut him in a room for the night but he kept whining. what should we do, we know he will whin but how long will it last & should we wait for it to stop raining before we force him to stay outside. He had 5 other brothers & sisters & mum & dad so we think he could be lonely aswell. Does anyone have any info on what to do to make him stay outside & how long will he whin & should we go outside when he does tostop him or do we just let him?
    ok well if you think he should come in then please tell me how tostop him from peeing & pooin inside. The only reason we wanted himto stay outside is because our landlord only allowed us to have a pet if it was to be outside only.
    HUH !!! obviously all your pets rule your house. weirdos have no idea. Except for you murphy2. thanx

Powered by Yahoo Answers

xlil_cutie93x
    its kind of mean to make a little puppy stay outside by itself.. i think you should let yoru dog be an indoor dog, its safer an more humane.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

eskie_mama2
    First off no one should ever leave a dog outside 24/7, especially a puppy. Dogs are pack animals and need the structure of the pack (their family) to do well. Leaving a dog outside all the time is not giving them what they need. You dog will become a nusience, barking because it is bored and it could very well become highly aggressive if left out 24/7. My question to you would be why have a dog if you cannot take care of it properly and make it part of the family?

EDIT: If you knew your landlord said it had to stay outside, then why get the dog in the first place? Pets are not meant to be kept outside 24/7.

Powered by Yahoo Answers

Sara G
    Dogs should be inside he wants to be with you they need companionship and to feel like they belong not put out in the rain.Would you want to stay outside....

Powered by Yahoo Answers

sherri w
    I dont understand why you wanted this new puppy if not for companionship. Bring the poor thing in forever. there is no reason for him to be outside . http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.html

Powered by Yahoo Answers

dobiz_rule
    he is now all alone. he is a pack animal and want to be with the rest of the new pack (that is you)
    unless you plan on moving out and staying in the yard with him, i strong encourage you to bring the dog inside. you are isolating him and its really unfair to the dog. even if he grew up outside, he had his litter mates, so he had a pack and now he is all alone.
    don't be surprised if later on in life he has behavioral problems/ grows up shy or aggressive because of this. if you really can't keep him inside, you should find him a new home.

**edit**
    well puppies poop and pee thats just what they do. you need to house break your puppy and it will take time.
    get a crate and at first you need to crate train him (don't just shove him in the crate for hours, it takes time, slowly luring the dog into the crate with a treat, closing the door for a couple of minutes, than letting him out, increasing the time he is in the crate slowly, never let the dog out when he whines / barks he should only be allowed out when he is fully relaxed) dogs don't usually poop / pee where they sleep. so when you are not able to take the puppy out, put him in the crate(at this age, he shouldn't be in there for more than a couple of hours) every time you take him out of the crate, take him outside. in general he should be taken outside to poo/pee after every meal, after playing/ after sleeping / after drinking. Every time you take him outside, repeat the same phrase "go potty" for example, make sure its something you would never use inside the house. eventually your dog will learn this command and go potty when you say it. if he does have an accident and you catch him at it, tell him "no" and take him outside right away. never hit your dog. Every time he goes outside, praise him "WHAT A GOOD BOY FOR GOING POTTY!!!" and give him a treat. stay consistent. it might take some time but he will learn.